Little Rock AFB 50th anniversary airshow

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by GEEDUBBYA, Oct 4, 2005.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

The worlds largest C 130 base at Little Rock, Arkansas will hold its 50th anniversary and airshow Oct. 8th and 9th 2005.
    There are always great performances at this show, featuring the A 10 WARTHOG (usually working in tandem), the harrier jump jet, the F 117 stealth fighter, the B2 Spirit Stealth Bomber, of course C 130's will have demonstrations of offloading cargo while on the fly, and short take offs with the use of side mounted rocket engines.
    There are tons of static displays including C 5, C 141's, tons of WWII aircraft, various C&C aircraft (command and control), walk thru of the large cargo aircraft like the C5 and others.
    This year the AIR FORCE THUNDERBIRDS will be performing both days and they are awesome. The jet powered tractor trailer truck SHOCKWAVE will be there and I am sure it will be racing against one of the fighter jets exceeding 200 mph on the ground.
    The best thing about this airshow is.........ITS FREE ADMISSION TO ALL.
    Some of the performances that will be held there will be:

The Air Force Thunderbirds!

The name "Thunderbirds" was adopted by the unit; influenced in part by the strong Indian culture and folklore of the southwestern United States.Indian legend speaks of the Thunderbird with great fear and respect. For 20 years the F-16 has remained the choice of the Thunderbirds, The F-16 is a stellar performer for the Thunderbirds, the U.S.Air Force and the 24 other nations whose boundaries it patrols and defends.
    The East Coast T-6A Texan II Aerial Demonstration Team!

Before being formally named in 1997, the T-6A was identified in a 1989 Department of Defense Trainer Aircraft Master Plan as the aircraft portion of the Joint Primary Aircraft Training System, or JPATS. The system includes a suite of simulators, training devices and a training integration management system.The first operational T-6A arrived at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas, in May 2000.
    The B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber
    The B-2 Spirit stealth bomber is one of the most popular attractions on the Air Show circuit. Scheduled for only a few shows every year, the B-2 will make a fly-by appearance on Sunday.
    The Red Baron Pizza Squadron
    The Red Baron Pizza Squadron has been barnstorming America for over 25 years. Their award winning aerobatics set the standard for precision and grace.
    The Aeroshell Aerobatic Team
    The Aeroshell Aerobatic Team performs a series of precision formation aerobatic maneuvers in the World War II North American Advanced
    The ShockWave Jet Show Les Shockley's career began in 1960 at the age of 16 driving stock cars at the San Gabriel drag strip in California. The Shockleys are originally from California, but moved to Kansas in 1979 to be better located for racing and exhibitions. By 1963 Les had landed a job driving the Milne Bros. sponsored Plymouth super stocker.
    The 82nd Airborne Paratrooper Drop It has become an annual tradition for the C-130 and the 82nd Airborne to demonstrate this massive paratrooper drop of 300 U.S. Army infantrymen each day.
    The C-17 Capabilities Exercise The C-17 is the newest aircraft to enter the U.S. Air Force’s inventory. The C-17 can carry virtually all of the Army’s air-transportable, outsized combat equipment.
    The B-17 Memphis Belle The B-17 is one of the most famous airplanes ever built. This aircraft served in every WW II combat zone, but is best known for daylight strategic bombing of German Industrial targets.
    The B-24 “Diamond Lil” Even though the B-17 received most of the publicity during World War II, The B-24 could fly higher, faster, farther, carry a bigger bomb load and take more punishment from enemy fire. This B-24 is only one of two B-24s that are airworthy.
    The Japanese A6M Zero replica “Tora 101” Doug Jackson and his Japanese A6M Zero replica “Tora 101” was originally used in the movie Tora! Tora! Tora!. Doug will demonstrate dog fighting of World War II and participate in a simulation that represents the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
    The POF Air Shows POF Airshows will show off their F4F Wildcat, F6F Hellcat and P-51 Mustang. The Hellcat, Wildcat and Mustang fought in World War II, with the Hellcat and Mustang carrying over into the Korean War.

I could go on and on about the performances and static displays, there are hundreds, thats why its a 2 day airshow lol. But if you have a favorite aircraft, I am sure it will be there.
    Again, admission is free both days and it is well worth the trip to see all this old and new hardware and what each is capable of, heck, its worth it just for the photographs and close ups you can get of these aircraft.
    For more information click here:
    For a list of perfomers I didnt mention, click here:

I doubt I will be able to attend due to work, but, thought I would let ya'll know about it anyway.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  2. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Well maybe next time. I have a manager out on Friday or I would come down and have a look. I would like to see all the show. thanks for the info. :(

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Dave,

Well, I wish I could attend too, but it dont look like I will be able to either. But.....lemme tell ya, its always an awesome event, I went thru some of my photos of past airshows there and after noticing that a few of them was "off kilter" abit, I remembered why....I was snockered out of my gourd.....they sell beer there on the first day of the airshow (cant sell alcohol on sundays in ark.)
    But anyone who can attend should, its well worth the trip.

have a good evening all,

4. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I clicked on the memphis belle link. Unfortunetly the last surving member of the memphis belle crew passed away just 3 days ago. Another chunk of history lost to the minds of the few lucky enough to have experienced it.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

Nothing like working a 12 Hr shift, loadin up in your truck to go home and once you get on the freeway, you look up and see a half million pounds of metal coming at you "low and fast". This happened to me on the way home from work today, I looked up to see a C 17 GLOBEMASTER head right down the freeway "LOW AND FAST" apparently attempting to raise awareness that the Airshow begins tomorrow. Yesterday It was a C 130J and the USAF THUNDERBIRDS buzzing the city.
    Now that C 17 may not have been real low, but when you see something that big headed your way, it looks like it is too close no matter how close it is. I am sure he was 1500 ft above the freeway or more, but that is one huge airplane, it would have covers all four lanes of the freeway and the median had it been on the ground.
    Anyway, for those of you in neighboring states, if you feel like a road trip, Jacksonville, Arkansas is the place to be this weekend.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW