Little Lost Dog

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
I got home from work today and went to take the garbage out to the dumpster. By the dumpster was a little Shin-Tzu dog looking sad. It seems that the owner of this dog has been treating him poorly and leaving him out a lot. Well, I gave the dog a friendly "hi" and started back to my apartment. Halfway there I hear the pitter pat of little feet and look down to see this little dog following me. I kindly said to him to go home and kept on walking. I get to my door and guess who was there? Yep, the little dog. I open the door and in he goes. My wife told me this is a little dog that has been mistreated not only by his owner, but all the local monsters, er kids, as well. So we decide to play puppy rescue and took the little fella into protective custody! ;)

And what does my son decide to name him? Casey! That boy has great potential as a train nut!

Michael

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Mac -- Bless You and Your Family........ Please keep the new "kid" safe from his previous owners.

If you really want to keep Casey as your own. take him to the vets & have him checked out. There could hiden complications that could cost you money... But it's a better thing to find out right away!!!!

Best of luck to all of you!!! (This may be a great thing -- new home - new playmate) LOL :) :) :)

I have 2 Poms & 2 cats!! It's great!!!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Great story! And a happy ending too! Or should I say happy beginning :)

Originally posted by McFortner

And what does my son decide to name him? Casey! That boy has great potential as a train nut!

and/or very creative thinking on how to keep the new pup in the family :) If i's what I'm thinking of, I think those are great little dogs. I have two chihuahuas. Hope you can keep Casey ;p

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Good for you!

My wife and I are jointly owned by three cats (all of whom I had before I met my wife). Two were strays I took in, the other "belonged" to people who neglected her so I rescued her too. They've been great friends for me, sometimes my only friends.

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
We live in a rural farming area just outside of town near a major highway, so far we have two dogs, just had to put a third one down, and now four cats, none have we purchased. Yes they have all been dumped out on the side of the road and left to fend for themselves. It is beyond me as to why these morons do this, I am sure they would not do this type of things to their kids, but I know we think it.. We are continualy calling the SPCA and putting adds in the local paper to come and get an animal, all free, as we can not keep them all.
I strongly agree with Tyson, take Casey to the vets and get checked over, to me it is a small price that you pay for years of fun and enjoyment...hummm sounds like a hobby that I have....Ron...

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
Michael
I have a Shih-Tzu they are the sweetest most friendly loving little companions, 24 hrs. a day right at my side or on in my lap and she sleeps on the bed next to me, also shes the CEO of my railroad. Thats a great thiing you have done, but dogs are personel property and the owner can claim the dog at any time and demand him back so before you get to attached to it esp. your son, if you know who the owners are contact them and see if you can get legal possession of the dog IN WRITING or pay them a few dollars and get a "Bill of Sale". . My Daughter had a similar situation and after spending a lot of money with the vet and grooming and 6 months of love the owner who did not care one iota for the dog demanded the dog back, so legaly they had to give him back, my grand children were devistated. Hope this works out for you and your son.

Attachments

• panda gc rr ceo #2.jpg
    panda gc rr ceo #2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 179

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
bad news

Some snot nosed ankle biters saw me with the dog and knew who it belonged to. So after all the work to get him cleaned up and cut out all the mats in his hair, I ended up having to give him back to the owners today. They claim he "ran away" when he got off his leash. Yah, right. The dog had no collar on him. They frequently let the dog out in the morning and leave him out all day. You would think that they would know better. A little dog like a Shih-Tzu should not be let loose like that. My mother had one and I know that it is a companion dog, not an outside dog.

Dumb freaking idiots. (Don't PM me asking for what I really think of these genetic freaks, I'd just burn out the keyboard with my description).

And to top it all off, it is just breaking my son's heart. He and the dog really hit it off.

:(

*sigh* I really hate doing the right thing.

Michael

CN1

May 6, 2003
Way to go my friend. you did the right thing. Having a dog is a great experience, for lack of better words.

they don't call them "man's best friend" for nothing.

Cheers

Did the kids get sent to the local pound, hu! I mean jail?

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
Michael
If you really want a Shih-Tzu there are Shih-Tzu rescue services in every state, use a search engine such as Google, type in Shih-Tzu rescue and your state, My daughter got one thru a service in CA. There are so many available all across the country you will be amazed when you start searching. I feel sorry for your son I know what he is feeling, I was there in my youth, 65 years ago and I still think about Brownie, fortunately I have a few photos of me and him, so I will never forget. I hope you get your son a dog every boy needs one.

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
Originally posted by CSX6638
get your son a dog every boy needs one.
I don't need a dog. :D A lying, hurting 3 yr old is bad enough. A few days ago my sister Hannah mauled some kid in a consignment shop. Hannah was playing with a toy and some kid took it away from her. She asked if the kid would share with her 3 times but he wouldn't, she even said please. Oh well, the kid got what he deserved. :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by rcwatkins
I don't need a dog. :D A lying, hurting 3 yr old is bad enough. A few days ago my sister Hannah mauled some kid in a consignment shop. Hannah was playing with a toy and some kid took it away from her. She asked if the kid would share with her 3 times but he wouldn't, she even said please. Oh well, the kid got what he deserved. :D
When I was your age, I didn't care for pets or girls. Believe me, when you grow up, things will change. Some people, kids and adults alike, get attached to pets real quick. One of the last things you want do is to see your child hurt, physically or emotionally. I'm sure your mom and dad feel the same way about you and your baby sister. The bond between a child and their pet is strong, but the one between a parent and that child is even stronger. I know, I've been there, my dislike for girls didn't last too long into my teen years.:)

Two things you learn as you grow up, one is compassion for others and their feelings, and the fact that there are other ways to win than by using force is another.

Don

Pops

Mar 10, 2003
Cowlumbus, Oh
bunne.com
I have a feeling the Casey will be back real soon. Abused dogs tend to run away, just like kids. You showed the dog what love is, and it will go to where it feels safe.

If Casey shows up again, get it rabbies tags and a dog license. Possesion is 90% of the law, and those two items will provide you with proof of possesion. The "former" owners will have to provide proof of ownership to some authorities, which I doubt that they can, or will. Put the burden of proof on them, and don't be a nice guy about it. It's in the dog's best interest.

Two weeks ago, my wife and I got our third basset hound. This one was from the Ohio Basset Rescue. She was 2 years old, weighed 37 pounds, and was skin and bones. She was abused by her pervious owners husband. It broke the owners heart to sneak the dog out of the house and to the rescue site, but she figured it would be in the dogs best interest. The puppy now weighs 47 pounds and loves being loved.

John

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
if you are serious that the dog is misterated report the oweners to the local aspca or if the local where you live has a branch of law-inforcement to deal with that then report it to them you might incure there wrath but in the long run you will sleep better

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
I'm not sure if Treena could be described as a "Lost Dog" or not. We are part of a "Rescue Dog Group" that looks out for Scottish Terriers (Similar groups for other breeds also exist). She came to us back in early August of 1990 as a result of a visit by a retired couple, who had aquired her at the age of 3 months and expected her to provide "Pet Therapy" for them in their retirement years.
Anyone who has ever owned a puppy knows that you must put in a lot of work, looking after its basic needs, such as feeding, training and nurturing, etc before you can reap the benifits of its love and affection.
Obviously, this couple had not counted on this and had decided that having a puppy was not such a good idea and contacted the vet in order to have her put down.
The vet contacted the rescue group and we were asked if we would take in another Scotty (we already had 2).
We accepted and the couple showed up and spent all of 2 minutes, introducing themselves, unloading Treena and all of her food, toys and blanket and saying good-by to us (not to Treena, however), before driving off.
We took her in when her owners would not have her and, provided the nesesities needed to allow her to live a happy life with her new companions, Webster and Gordon as well as us.
In turn, she gave us just over 13 years of Love, affection, companionship, good times and memories.
This last Friday, August 29th, at the age of 13 years, 8 months, 4 days, she passed away peacefully in her sleep and joined Webster and Gordon in dog heaven, leaving us with our remaining Scotty puppy, Silverbell (10 monthes old and not a rescue dog), untill the rescue group calls on us again.

Terry