Little Joe I & Little Joe II 1/96

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by londonbluemisty, May 10, 2009.

1. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi All,:mrgreen:

A few photo's of two more launch vehicles I have finished!
    Mercury Little Joe I and Apollo Little Joe II.
    Both were used for testing the boilerplate capsules L.E.S.
    The Mercury Little Joe I is rescaled from Michael Urbans 1/48 design. The Apollo Little Joe II is rescaled from Ton Notebooms design.
    I also added attitude thrusters as Ton does not include them.
    Extras printed out from my Saturn I SA6 build fitted perfectly.:twisted:

Attached Files:

2. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

LBM, those are very good. I haven't built any actual spacecraft yet. Mercury and Gemini are my two favorites, I'll give one of them a try when I get the time. Keep up the great work!

PS-I like your avatar picture. When I lived in Orlando my job took me out to the Kennedy Space Center from time to time. I actually made a delivery out to the Vertical Assembly Building once. The semi-truck I was driving had a 53 foot trailer on it that day, a big truck right? Not when parked next to the VAB! It looked like a toy! Your pic brings back some fond memories of the KSC.
  3. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi London,

Very nice additions to your garden. Beautiful builds.

The Space Museum in Alamogordo, New Mexico (Holloman AFB) has a very nice example of LJ2 in their Rocket Garden. It is a monster when you stand next to it. I can't imagine what the Saturn 1, or better yet a Saturn V must be like when vertical. When they're lying on their sides, something is lost.
  4. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Come to Alabama, we've got a Saturn V, Saturn I, and Saturn IB vertical. They are an impresssive sight.
    US Space and Rocket Center

I-65 rest area
    MSFC rocket park
  5. gpw

gpw Member

again two fantastic builds. I have build Ton´s Little Joe II in the rescaled version (1/96) too - but without attitude thrusters. A good addition. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

6. Gideon

Gideon New Member

What was your method for cutting out the LES tower on Little Joe I? That looks hard enough to do in 1:48.
  7. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

The key is do not rush!!!
    I scored the fold lines first,cut out the LES tower very carefully.Then using tweezers I folded and glued the tower.
    When I made the LES tower for my Mercury-Redstone I rushed it and cut right through one of the leg supportswall1wall1 and had to start all over again.......

8. Gideon

Gideon New Member

Well kudos! It looks great. I'm in the (very) early stages of building my own 1:96 "Rocket Park." So I figure I have to make at least 3 of these LES towers. Your collection looks great and always inspires me when I see it. Keep up the great work!
  9. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Like London says, don't rush, and just concentrate on each cut. It's actually pretty easy and fun.

You might also want to strengthen the legs by backing them with narrower pieces of cardstock "within" the structure before it's folded.

Good luck.