Little Joe Build

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by CardStalker, Feb 26, 2007.

1. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Thanks Carl, would be great. Don't know about the designer. Maybe we could work together on this. Got the Sa's form you and iching to start, but i have to finish what i'm working on now. Let me know if you want to work on this, i'll do some test building if you want.
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

The Designer of The CardInSpace Mercury Models

Well, Carl,

If you by any chance are referring to those two wonderful Mercury 1:48 scale models, the designer is none other than the very talented Michael Urban. He frequently writes over at our 'sister' forum where I think he´s also one of the administrators. He is also seen here on from time to time.

I am in the midst of building his other fine Mercury mode design, Alan Shepard´s Mercury-Redstone MR-3 mission rocket with the "Freedom 7" capsule, from the famous first (sub)orbital flight in 1961.
    In 1:48 scale, this model is super-detailed. The four fins are built-up with internal formers and skins and the main rocket engine is complete with Vane Guides, Carbon Vanes and Flame Shields. The "Freedom 7" capsule is also very realistic with the proper round window, which was enlarged to an elongated rectangle for John Glenn´s later orbital flight in "Friendship 7".
    The Mercury model can be found at the same page as the "Little Joe" launcher:

I think it´s the finest Mercury model available in this scale.

Best regards,
    Bengt :D
  3. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Bengt, i agree, it was the first card model i built. I have a pic of it in the Main Gallery on page two. just loved the model.
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

I agree

The detail is to beat the band!! I know about the window change. You may also know that Gus G.'s flight, (Mercury Redstone, (Liberty Bell)), had the new window, (It was the first flight of that option). Would You ask the designer if He would provide this option, (And maybe do a Atlas Mercury too, (Please)). I love, (and have built), both of his offerings.

5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mercury-Redstone MR-4 "Liberty Bell 7"

Ah yes, Carl,

That unfortunate hatch! Poor Gus Grissom was never even believed or given a chance to vindicate his side of the story, which lingered on even after his death in the command module fire tragedy of Apollo 1.

Recent finds on the actual Liberty Bell 7 capsule suggests, however, that the outside cover plate over the opening lever came off with the deployment of the parachute and that temperature differences could have caused the hatch to blow. Grisssom reported seeing a hole in the chute, that matched the size of this cover plate.

And you´re right of course, the enlarged window was there along with the new hatch with the explosive bolts.

Read all about it:

A 1:48 scale Atlas-Mercury "Friendship 7" would be very nice (preferrably printed on Red River silver paper or with long strips of silver duct tape!) - let us all approach the designer Michael Urban about it and perhaps also the planned Apollo-Saturn 1b and V launchers.

6. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

Mercury-Redstone MR-4 "Liberty Bell 7"

Gus Grissom has always been one of my favorite astronauts. The first time I saw "The Right Stuff", it really irritated me the way they portrayed Gus as some bumbling goof that panicked.

For the longest time I've had the impression that the "media" has had the most to do with the so called controversy because it adds some spice to the story, as if almost losing his life didn't make the story exciting enough!

I don't know who it was, I'm thinking either Gus' brother or Guenter Wendt, said the other astronauts considered Gus Grissom to be the astronaut's astronaut.
  7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

John Young, Gus G., & Wally S.

That is the short list of real space cowboys!!!

Not that the others are not on my list!
  8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I'm sure glad I'm not the only one who is looking for a better model of the Atlas series! It sure would look superb with silver paper...just take a look at David's build of the Gemini, for example:

It doesn't get much better than that!

9. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

That is just awsome work!
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Gemini / Titan II Launcher 1:48 Scale by dhanners

Wow, Jim!

Thanks for that link. That is one impressive and very realistic-looking model. A beautiful 'kitbash' of the Delta 7 Gemini and Ton´s Titan II. What a beautiful model, David!

I got very interested in the paper that David Hanners mentions and I Googled it - this is what I found:|Wyndstone Papers

There seems to be a lot of interesting surfaces, that could be extremely useful for different genres of card models; metal surfaces for space ships, motorcycles or cars, "Cork, Mica" and "Patina" for simulating wood, and so on.
    I´ve got to try this kind of metal paper in my printer, if I can get my hands on it here in Sweden. I couldn´t get Red River metallic paper and anyway it isn´t recommended for my printer.
    At least we have a brand name - I suppose it could be ordered from a well-stocked arts shop. Very interesting . . .

11. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

David is a very talented modeler, and seems to always find a unique and excellent way of tackling texture and surface details, not to mention adding some extremely brilliant details. Oh, if only I could get something close to that....:cry:

12. murban

murban Member

Hello Cardstalker,

I just discovered your fine build report and just wanted to congratulate you on this masterpiece.

After venturing in the world of shipmodel design for a while, I am finally back to rockets (the past that I left two years ago when I failed miserably in producing a realistic engine support frame for the Titan II rocket)...

My site has just been relaunched (with some other models than just space) and I am currently re-doing the Little Joe model. I've got new plans with even more details and this time I want to do it right and offer the whole line of flights (not that anybody would want to build the same model over and over again with just some color patches and minor details different, but who knows).

Also, I am trying to come up with a better depiction of metal surfaces...

And I am halfway through with an Atlas rocket... but don't hold your breath, it still needs some time...

best regards,
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I can't Wait!

I look forward to any new Little Joe Updates!!

14. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Michael, thank you for the kind words. Looking forward to what you will have to offer. Let me know if I can help with anything, willing to do builds for you and you can post them on your site if you want. Let me know. Best regards.