Little Joe Build

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by CardStalker, Feb 26, 2007.

1. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

her I have taken ET1 cut and rolled and connected with ET1A and toped with ET2. Put a little black to where the next part goes for blending. Also the rocket cones ET5/6/7. Again I used the washer tip as before.

Attached Files:

• lj27.JPG
      File size:
      74.3 KB
  2. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Here the cones are done and part ET4 cut and rolled to a slight cone and glued to the top on ET2. I also scored the part ET9 and floded and glued together.

Attached Files:

• lj28.JPG
      File size:
      65.1 KB
  3. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

While ET9 was drying, I made the little probes for on top by taking some round tooth picks and shaving them down and cutting to length with the guide given. I made them just a little long and left a point on the end so I could stick them in the top. I also used a black sharpie to color them.

Attached Files:

• lj29.JPG
      File size:
      62.1 KB
  4. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

I then cut out ET3 and made 2 holes wher the marks were so I could push the probes just in enough to hold them in place. Then glued ET3 to the top. Make sure the 2 holes are not in line with the joint line cause it will be in the back and they would be facing the wrong way.

Attached Files:

• lj30.JPG
      File size:
      44.6 KB
  5. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next comes the fun part. At the right you can see the motor complete. cut and roll ET8 and butt join and glue to the center of ET4, then glue on the rocket cones. The tower bracing is the real fun part. I left the form attached to the main card. Cut out each section from top to bottom then move over till it is all cut out except for the ends. This gives the part more support when cutting without handling the thin parts that might break off.

Attached Files:

• lj31.JPG
      File size:
      89.7 KB
  6. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

here it is after I colored the edges.

Attached Files:

• lj32.JPG
      File size:
      98.8 KB
  7. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

then cut out completely.

Attached Files:

• lj33.JPG
      File size:
      67.4 KB
  8. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

now here is when you need to take your time and be gental. score the areas shown on the master sheet and bend gently. Helps to use a pair of tweezers to do the bending. then glue the ends to the other side. and the frame is ready to go on. allow plenty of time for the glue to dry as it will come apart easy.

Attached Files:

• lj34.JPG
      File size:
      54.2 KB
  9. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

next glue the frame to the bottom af the rocket housing. its a little tight getting the rocket cones to clear the inner frame suports at the top. and line it up so its straight. after it dries then you can glue it to the top of the capsule. see the master part sheet for the alinement. last I glued the probes to the top.

Attached Files:

• lj35.JPG
      File size:
      77.4 KB
  10. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

and last but not least, glue the capsule to the top of the rocket. There you have it, done deal. Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. Thanks to all.

Attached Files:

• lj36.JPG
      File size:
      61.8 KB
  11. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great thread! Nice looking build, too! Thanks for sharing and the great comments!

12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Great build of an interesting (if not publicly well known) subject!

13. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Excellent thread with plenty of hints and tips.
    You definitely got me interested and maintained it right to the end.
  14. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Well done!
  15. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Agree - great thread. I learned some good tricks here, like the use of the washers to hold cones together. Great idea! :)
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Little Joe

Thanks for a wonderful and instructive build thread!

Here´s a little tip for building small and intricate launch escape towers:
    I just finished cutting out the red escape tower (orange, in this case) of Erik te Groens Mercury-Redstone model in 1:96 scale, which is very small. Model link: It´s the 'Mercury-Redstone'.

Firstly, I print the backside of the paper with a mirrored square form, equalling the shape of the part, with roughly the same colour.
    Secondly, I leave as much paper around the part as possible (sometimes you have to make an extra print for this). Thirdly, I do all the scoring for the folds before I start the actual cutting, and fold all the corners once or twice depending on paper thickness. Then I flatten the paper again and make sure I have a fresh and sharp, very thin blade (E 11) for my scalpel.
    For the cutting, I make sure that I stop cutting just short of the joints - and when I´m done cutting, I insert the scalpel in each corner vertically to free the spaces that should be removed.

With a part this small, I use a pair of magnifying glasses, the kind that jewellers use, that you put on your head like a cap - it is cheap (made of plastic) and comes with two pairs of lenses. I use it a lot, especially for cutting out small round shapes that are too small for the OLFA circle cutter.

Best regards,
    Bengt :D
  17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Very nice build!

I feel your pain with the escape tower after doing Ton Notebooms 1/24 scale Gemini capsule. Gave me bloody fits, and that was in a larger scale than what you're working in here! Bravo!
  18. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Just want to say thanks to all, It was fun doing this model and I had fun sharing it with you.
  19. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

No, thanks go to YOU for giving us such an entertaining and superb build thread.:)

Your "Little Joe" came out superb!

Thanks so much for doing this project and especially for the excellent narrative and photos.

20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Future Project Idea?

One of the things that would be cool to see, (Would Be.....). I think this is a very nice build and design. It would be cool to do a series of the early Mercury & Apollo little Joe flights, (With Ground Opp. Hardware). What ever happened to the designer?

Thanks for the look at Your build & tech.,