LIonel Transformer issue

bobtx

Hi,

I have a Pennsylvania Flyer set I purchased for me son last Christmas. We are novices at Trains and have had huge issues with this sset and particularly the transformer. In the year we have had to have an engine serviced and a transformer replaced because it over heated as soon as it went in reverse. Today we set up the train for Christmas and the new transformer will not supply power to the track. The transformer is a standard CW -80 Transformer which is only operating the track. Is there an alternative to this transformer reasonably priced? Do you have any advice as to why no power would be going to the track. I checked the leads and they seem secure.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bob Mealey and very disappointed son.

Pooh Bah
Is the green light on?
When you turn up the throttle, does the green light stay on? If it flashes you have a short circuit.
We've had the CW80 for about 3 years with no problems, but I remember a lot of chatter about problems on another forum. I think the early ones were mis-designed internally and Lionel changed it.
Lionel doesn't offer much in the low-power control. They used to. (An older transformer should go for about $1 per watt. But they may need a bit of TLC before being used.)
I don't know the other manufactuers.