lionel track sizes?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by repeters1, Dec 16, 2007.

1. repeters1

repeters1 Pete

I bought a Lionel Christmas set for under the tree and the track that comes with it seems to be very tight as a circle (I think it's O27). I put a few straights in the run to get it out farther from the tree base but it still is to tight on the sides.
    My question is do they offer a different radius track to make the curves not so 'tight'? I know in HO, which I normally deal in, there are different radius' so the longer engines / cars don't look / handle bad.
    Thanks in advance, Pete
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Pete: you're in luck.
    Lionel offers several radii of track, as well as 3 types of track.
    The lightest track is called O-27 because of the 27" diameter circle. In the same size, they have 42" and 54" diameter track. All these tracks will connect together, but not with the other types.

There is a larger, heavier track called either plain O gauge or O-31. This has a 31" diameter circle as standard, with 42", 54" and 72" diameters also available. That last one is 6 feet and some of Lionel's bigger trains require it.
    Looking nothing like the other tracks is FasTrack. This is on a plastic base and has a lot more ties molded on. This has circles of 36", 48", 60". 72" and 84".
    Extra information: O and O-27 tracks are measured over the outside of the ties; FasTrack seems to be measured to the center rail.
  3. repeters1

repeters1 Pete

Thanks Pooh bah. I think I'll go for the 42". I measured under the tree and it will be just right .
    Thanks again.:thumb:
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

O42 will be a good choice. I run my O27 locos on it and they can really fly around O42 curves and still stay on the track.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

fast track is 0-48 , not 0-42. the size is marked on the bottom of my 0-48's

0-42 is MTH realtrax
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

They make tubular O42, in both standard O and O27 profiles. I have a loop of it on my layout.
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

at any rate,,,, if its a "around the tree" layout on the carpet if you do have tubular i would not use it, and buy fast track, its safer, you can suck up the carpet fibers with the tubular.
  8. Geno

Geno Member

If you have 027 profile track, you could even go for the 054 curves- my scale 18" and 20" diesels run nicely on them. I also use K-Line 072 curves, but they're getting a bit harder to find these days.

I agree with Ozzy on the Christmas tree track- Fastrack is much better suited for this purpose, and the 048 curves with a few straights make a nice sized loop.

9. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Another nice feature about fast Track for the Christmas tree is that if you walk on it you don't damage it.
  10. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

not quite ,, you cant damage it as easy....... i just through out a piece that the boy stepped on by mistake........ glad it was not a he was running trains, had to go to the bathroom,,,, foot in cast, 10 year old and crutches is not the best thing, hes not the best at working
  11. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:mrgreen: I didn't say it was tough as steel. But for just normal foot traffic it holds up very well. Our sticks out into the main walking area and takes a lot of foot traffic, two years worth without any damage. The older 0-27 type track would bend and become distorted.

I tell the kids to walk over it but you know kids.