Lionel switcher - GE ?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by max diyer, Jan 26, 2006.

1. max diyer

max diyer New Member

In the middle or late 50's, my Dad bought a used Lionel set. The engine was a switcher. The cab was in the middle, like a GE 44-ton, but the hoods were longer. In the 70's, I sold it. About 15 years ago, I went to a train show and was talking to a dealer about it. He was VERY interested in it and wanted to buy it.

I always wondered about that switcher. Does anyone know about these switchers? When did Lionel make these, how many did they make, what are they worth, what prototype were they modeled after, etc. ?
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Best bet would be to poke around to see if you can find it. That'll give you some information. If you have the number on the engine, I can look it up in the Standard Catalog of Lionel Trains by David Doyle and see if it gives any more information.
  3. max diyer

max diyer New Member

Dave . . . I went to the post war lionel site. It has the switcher. Made in '56 & '57 and it is a GE 44-ton. I don't have any numbers from the engine to give you. It's been over 30 years, since I owned it. Everything I can remember, is in my first post. This is the first pics & info I have seen on the swithcer. Thanks for the info, it brings back some good memories!
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If I remember, Lionel pretended it was a 44-tonner but they built it on a Geep chassis so it came out a lot longer.
  5. max diyer

max diyer New Member

David . . . your recollection is correct. On the postwarlionel site, it does state that they were "significantly longer in proportion" than the prototype. The going price for one of these switchers is $1195.00! I wish I had it now. I sold the whole train set for $80.
  6. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

The MPC/modern era versions (used pretty much same tooling so are just as oversized) go for less than $200 new.

yours in switching
  7. Wimpy

Wimpy New Member

I have seen these Lionel switchers on E-bay. Just do a search on 44-ton model trains, you will see a lot of Bmann's engines come up but also a few Lionel ones. They go for a lot less than $1000.00

Wiscasset & Carrabassett Ry.
    The biggest, littlest railroad, down east
  8. silver

silver Member

Williams offers almost the same misshapened engine new for well under $200.