lionel switch power?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by JoeGrapes, Apr 7, 2007.

1. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

ok, now I'm confused. I have TMCC with a PowerHouse 180 power supply. I want to add some switches and maybe an accessory or two. Do I need another power supply for them?
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Hi Joe

Lionel states in theirinformation that you should not use track power for the switches and accessories. ( Warning: Accessories must be externally powered. Do not power them from track voltage.) ( Switches must be powered externally using their fixed voltage plugs and 12 volts or less. Do not power them from the track.) I guess you can over power them and melt a few things. Since I had a extra transformer I just used it to power my switches and accessories.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

is that for the new lionel stuff or the post war? what i cant figure out is if lionel says not to run the stuff on track power then why do they have so many things that clip right to the track for power?

4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Big O that is only in the case when you are using TMCC it has something to do with the track having full power 100% of the time. This will result in some light burning out and possibly some things melting.

[FONT=&quot]If your not using TMCC then using track power is ok.[/FONT]
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

k, just did not want to burn out my stuff, lol i dont have tmcc (YET)

6. Geno

Geno Member

Most new trainsformers have constant 14v-10v outputs for accesories and switch power- even if you don't have TMCC it's not a bad idea to pull power from those sources instead of the track.