Lionel Steam Engine Question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by eightyeightfan1, Oct 16, 2002.

1. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

A buddy of mine showed me a Lionel steam engine he found in the trunk of a junk car. Its a 2-4-0, looks to be stamped steel. The boiler jacket is spartan on details, and there is no backhead detail, but a sloped sheet. The only marking is the number 268 on the cab sides, along with a Lionel 027 tag at the bottom. He's looking for(as well as I am now) any imformation on it. Any assistance would be appreciated.
  2. pcentral

pcentral Member

To my knowledge Lionel never made a number 268. They did make a 258 that is a 2-4-0. The 258 was made between 1930-35. Is there a tender with it? Does it have a number(probably stamped on bottom of frame)? Also, are the numbers on the loco rubber stamped or on a brass plate? If you can give me a little more info I believe I can return the favor. Steve
  3. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

There wasn't a tender with it, and I don,t recall any other numbers. I'm gonna try to get some pictures of it this weekend, and should have them posted by either Sunday or Monday.