Lionel starter set in the "Toys" Target Ad.

LoudMusic

I think it's a good thing, so long as it doesn't demean or belittle the rest of the hobby.

They say it puffs smoke and has an air whistle. Is it DCC?

jflessne

That's a good question. It should but I can't find anything specific about the set.

With a $249.00 price tag for a starter set similar to my MTH setup. ($229) My MTh is DCS and DCC enabled.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Well, never say never, but the power pack in the picture looks conventional, not DCC. There are sound systems that do operate on DC as well, and the smoke simply smokes as long as there is power to the "burner".

Andrew

NSES44DC

Yes, but it says its ac powered and its imported. I didnt know Lionel was imported. Then again, last Lionel I got was way back in 1992.

nkp174

I think it's good for the hobby.

If a kid gets a battery operated plastic railroad, it won't last and they'll lose interest. I've seen the same think with guitars: very few people that get Walmart/Target guitar combos ever learn to play.

For any hobby, having a decent start goes a long way. I would hope to see Lionel, MTH, LGB, Spectrum, etc... at Walmart, Target, and Meijer. That way people can get a good start in the hobby and hopefully they'll continue it. I can't wait till I can pick up a $240 LGB starter set (with the green & black Austrian engine). It won't be coming out of the hobby budget though.

C

Catt

Of course it's a good idea.A lot of MR's got their railroading start from trainsets sold by Sears,Montgomery Wards and other department stores.

My first HO trainset came from Meijers a Michigan based big box store.My first N scale came from Toys R Us.Bought that HO set at Meijers in 1978 and am still MRing :D