Lionel smoke question...

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by gfmucci, Dec 25, 2006.

1. gfmucci

gfmucci Member

The odor from the liquid Lionel smoke smells like buring electrical circuits - a rather fowl and irritating odor. My wife has me turn the smoker off. Are thre different types of smoke available for this train? And no, I'm not looking for Rose and Cinamon room fresheners - I understand that most wives really don't care for the odor of coal burning locomotives in their living rooms.:)

I remember the smell of the smoke from the American Flyer set of the '50's. I don't know whether it is a nostalgia thing, or not, but it seemed more pleasant - a bit of an oily odor, I think.:cool:
  2. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Yes SEveral manufaturers advertise in OGR and classic Toy Trains.

Also most hobby shops cary after market brands.

You might also try here....
  3. gfmucci

gfmucci Member

Thanks, Gil...great site you referred me to. My wife thanks you!
  4. Geno

Geno Member

I've used JT's Mega -Steam's coffee scent while running trains at home, and my wife loved it! You can pick it up at most hobby stores or order it online.

5. hilldrum

hilldrum Member

It's in the contents

Actually, being determined by the odor in the bottle and when it's burning, I think the Lionel fluid contains diesel fuel, and K-line's contains kerosene.

6. hilldrum

hilldrum Member

And on more thing, have any of you actually tried the Bigsteam fluid in Lionel and
    K-Line engines? How does it perform and is it any danger in using this instead of the manufacturer's?

--Thanks, Hill