Lionel RailSounds?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by JoeGrapes, Dec 31, 2006.

1. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

What is the difference in RailSounds 4.0 and RailSounds 5.0? Can the older version be upgraded? Is it a software or hardware thing?
  2. Geno

Geno Member

I think it's just a hardware upgrade- basically a newer version of the Railsounds board.

3. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

Say Geno, is there anyway to tell if a Lionel engine or car is 027 or scale from the number on the box?
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Look up the part number at Lionel. Com and it should specify if the minimum radius. If it says O-31, it's O gauge. If it says O-27, it's O-27 gauge. You could Google the number as well. Some online shops list the gauge and others don't
  5. Geno

Geno Member

I believe the scale, or Standard O Lionel cars all have part numbers 6-17xxx or 6-27xxx. There are also distinct eras from which to choose from- a good look at any Lionel catalog will show both modern cars and freight cars used in the steam era.

I focus mainly in modern equipment, which is why I have only cars like Husky Stacks, Atlas and MTH Autoracks, unibody tankers, etc. But get what you like- alot of the guys at the club have both steamers and diesels, and mix the cars from different eras at will.

6. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Upgrading should be no problem if Lionel ever decides to sell the 5.0 sound boards, which they have not done at this time. Maybe when TMCCII hits the market they will sell 5.0 boards.
  7. Brian R.

Brian R. Member

The 4.0 and 5.0 systems sound the same. However, with 5.0 you get more verbal options. With my clinchfield challenger I have railsounds 4.0 It comes with the bell, whistle, brake, uncoupling, firebox noises. It also comes with 2 different sayings. With 5.0 you get all the train sounds plus about 7 different sayings specifically created for that engine. currently, upgrading to 5.0 is not an option because Lionel does not sell the 5.0 boards. For what it costs, I am perfectly fine with my 4.0 system.