Lionel prices going up?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by lionelsteam, Jul 4, 2007.

1. lionelsteam

lionelsteam New Member

Ok, I Been trying to bid on some lionel pieces for my train set, and i have been outbid like 10 times now. Pieces that used to sell for like $50 are now going for like $70, and i don't understand this. Isn't this the off season for trains its like july, august, so why so many people bidding train pieces up so high in the middle of summer? does anyone know??
    Is now not the time to buy? but i don't wanna wait till november, when they might be even higher by then. Has anyone else noticed this?? any advise?
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Only on the ones I want and it happens year round. There are two ways to buy on ebay in my opinion. The first is just to get it by paying higher than the other person. The second is to be patience and watch every day.

[FONT=&quot]I did check on the many items I bought during last year and I could of bought them all cheaper this year.[/FONT]
  3. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Its called an auction. People do get carried away at auctions.
  4. trainnut65

trainnut65 Member

Well i know what you are saying it seems like ppl are starting there stuff out at a higher price. and it is bring a better price then it was this time last year. I know i was buying up some old Athearn blue box stuff just to have it and i was finding a lot of it at some good prices. Now i cant buy the same thing for the good prices i was getting it for. I guess the gas prices have got something to do with this to
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

eBay can be unpredictable, which is what makes it so maddening and yet fun at the same time. All I can say is be patient. If you resign yourself to the possibility you may not pick up everything this year at the price you're wanting to pay, and just pick up what you can find off your want list at a reasonable price, eventually you will find all of it, but it may take more than a year. But that's OK; it's a lifelong hobby.
  6. Geno

Geno Member

Market value all depends on demand, so you have to look at what you're bidding on and what time of year it is- typically prices are lower in summer. Maybe your item is just really in demand or a number of bidders noticed it- that would raise the price even in summer.

If you really want it now, set your bid a bit higher and jump in with the other snipers at the last 10 seconds- you may have better odds of winning then.