Lionel/Plasticville Prison?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Did Lionel ever make a prison model in O/O27 gauge? I'd like to put Folsom Prison somewhere in my layout eventually and I was wondering if there would be a good base to start with or if I'll have to build the whole thing from scratch.
  2. tracman165

tracman165 New Member

In all of my years, I don't think I've ever seen a prison in any scale.
    You might have to try contacting some of the kit makers?
  3. Cannonball

I figured as much.
    I think I may have to make Folsom from scratch.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well in N and OH they make people that are in a chain gang. not sure if there are people in O scale. but if you get the prison. ya got to have a chain
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Plasicville did make a police station which had bars on the windows.
  6. Cannonball

Nah... I want a big old stone fort of a prison.
    that way I have an excuse to play Johnny Cash songs while my train is running. :D
  7. jetrock

jetrock Member

Modeling Folsom Prison in O scale would take up quite a chunk of layout real estate...something like a bit of prison visible from behind some hills or big oaks might be a more feasible project.

I assume you're modeling Southern Pacific, then?
  8. Cannonball

Yeah... I've been looking at old pics of Folsum. The place was huge. I may have bitten off more than I can chew there. I may just go for a "feel" type of thing since it's all tinplate anyway. If I can get the outside walls and the tower by the front gate, I'll be happy.

You assume I get particular about railroad names. :D
    I really don't care what it says on the side as long as the engine runs. ;)
  9. jetrock

jetrock Member

okay...I suppose I get particular about roadnames because Folsom Prison is in my neck of the woods, and it's all Espee territory up there. You might get the "feel" of a Folsom-stype prison by picking up a medieval-castle playset, or a castle intended for military miniatures, and post a few "prison guard" miniatures on the walls...maybe a couple of guys in convict stripes emerging from a hole nearby?
  10. Cannonball

That's a thought.
    I wonder if I could find a toy castle that could be easy to kitbash?
    I don't think I've ever seen any models for castles either...... I wonder if my daughter would miss her Little People Castle Playset? :D Seriously though. It's an angle I hadn't thought about. I was thinking maybe Legos and painting them.