Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by callaway_golf, Dec 7, 2005.

1. callaway_golf

callaway_golf New Member

I just purchased 2 Lionel train sets for my son and daughter (one diesel and one steam engine) I have heard that the MTH engines have better sound. Is there any opionion which brand makes the best engines. I already have had to take the Diesel engine into the shop for warranty work within 48 hours. I appreciate any help. I am new to O gauge. Thanks
  2. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

MTH's sound is pretty awsome. I have a G scale Dash 8 diesel and it sounds like the real thing. I am very happy with it.
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I have both and maybe it’s just my tin ear, but I really can’t tell the difference between them. They are both very good. After all, to most people, train sounds are just noise.
  4. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

I have only one steamer with sound and it is MTH. It is really good. I have both MTH and Lionel in diesel. To me the Lionel has best diesel sounds. As far as volume goes, you can get more out of MTH in sounds and smoke. I'm getting a real good smoke from Lionel now but had modified their smoke unit.