Lionel Milk Car - Door Replacement

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by brucebailey, Feb 28, 2005.

1. brucebailey

brucebailey New Member

Has anyone any photos, instructions or links showing how to replace doors on a Lionel automatic milk car? I have the doors and springs but am having difficulty figuring out how to perform the installation.

2. Flash

Flash New Member

Lionel Milk Car

I've got the same problem. Mine is #3472. Hope someone has some suggestions. Jack
  3. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Are they metal or plastic doors?
    I looked in the Greenberg repair and operating manual and there is a 1949 model (metal doors)and a 1950 model (plastic doors) of the# 3472 milk car.
    The#3462 milk car is the same as the 1949 version.
    Not much is said about installing the doors. They do mention pulling outward on the bottom of the door frame to remove it on the 1950 plastic version.
    I don't know how much help it would be , but I could scan these pages and Email them to you if you want.
  4. brucebailey

brucebailey New Member

Lionel Plastic Milk Car Doors

I'd very much appreciate the information you have to be scanned and sent me.

Thanks for your help.

5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

6. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

The link that David supplied are the same pages I have and more.
  7. vdegrazia

vdegrazia Member

Milk door

The best way to remove the doors on the plastic version is to remove the body from the chassis. The door "assembly" is held in place by tabs on the top and bottom and are easier to remove. Once the assembly is out the individual doors and springs can be removed. It is best to handle the springs with tweesers, and it still very difficult.