Lionel Large Scale--track compatibility?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Soonerfan, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Soonerfan

Soonerfan New Member

What other brands of track will work with Lionel large scale models? Also, what are the differences (other than metallurgically speaking) between brass and stainless? Can they both be used outdoors?
  2. coomer

coomer New Member

Lionel large scale works with any G scale track such as LGB, Aristocraft and USA track. Track is available in Aluminum, Brass, Stainless Steel and Nickel-Silver. All have their advantages and disadvantages, I have brass and if cleaned regularly works nicely outdoors but I am installing stainless steel loop to see if it corrodes less. Aluminum should only be used if you are going to use battery power as it corrodes very quickly. Coomer
  3. pcentral

pcentral Member

I use brass LGB track on my garden railroad and it is the best for outdoors. The best thing I did was buy a track cleaning car. If you don't want to spend that much right now get a pole sander for drywall plaster from your local home repair center. Instead of using sandpaper get Scotchbrite pads and attach them onto the pole sander. The is the easiest way to clean track without bending over or kneeling down.