Lionel Freedom Train 1976

broker

My father bought the full 1976 Freedom Train set (lionel O scale I believe) in 1976. He has kept them all in the boxes for the last 33 years. These are fairly large trains. He was asking me about the value of these trains over the last few weeks. Being a forumer I decided to seek out and ask the experts. He has tons of other trains that are all between 30 and 50 years old. But lets start with this first question and work our way up.

I've posted this on other forums to see what kind of info I can scrape together. Thank you in advance for any help.

shaygetz

Welcome:thumb:

I'm fairly certain that Lionel only put out the Freedom Train in HO scale back then. It was offered with the 4-8-4 GS-4 pulling it. The one they have in O27 is actually a fairly new release and has the Alco PA1 pulling it.

broker

Welcome:thumb:

I'm fairly certain that Lionel only put out the Freedom Train in HO scale back then. It was offered with the 4-8-4 GS-4 pulling it. The one they have in O27 is actually a fairly new release and has the Alco PA1 pulling it.

Sorry I don't know train "lingo" so none of that really makes sense to me. This was posted elsewhere as a resource for me. It's this exact train. Is this HO or some other scale?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIONEL-1776-SPI...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

broker

It is an O scale Lionel set, a new one on me and, at around $600 a set, that's quite a find.

Thank you. Now I know what scale it is. He has tons of this stuff. I remember him putting pills and drops in the locomotives as a young kid and watching them puff smoke. He has tracks and transformers and cool milk jug spitting cars. Helicopter totting cars that fly up when they hit a portion of the track. It's really neat stuff. It's all in pristine condition. He babied this stuff. He has the full Freedom Train set still in the boxes.