lionel engine???? ac or dc?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

[​IMG]

the general , rock island and peoria set, engine #8004 made from 1980 to 1982. is this an AC or DC engine? i know in the 1980's some of the general engines lionel made was DC only. but i dont know how to tell them apart.
  2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

know one knows?
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok i found out that it is AC.
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i did not want to spend my time looking for this set if it was DC only...lol the rock island is my favorite road name, and the general is my favorite steam engine, so i can look past the fact that this set is not 1:48....lol
  6. kfh227

kfh227 Member

Since it would be on topic, I'll hijack this thread. Is new 3 rail Lionel AC or DC?

I'm assuming that my 3 rail pre-war Lionel is AC but I wonder about the new stuff.
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

yes its AC, i "THINK" that lionel makes some engines that run on both AC or DC now, or did a few years ago????? maybe someone will know more about this......?

but everything will run on AC, there was just some sets in the 1980's that was DC only and they was the little cheap sets,
  8. SCarGo02

SCarGo02 New Member

I don't know about current TMCC/Legacy Lionel, but the conventional locomotives are AC as they still use DC to trigger the whistle/horn and bells.

Although I do have the Fort Collins Trolley and it runs on AC or DC. As a matter of fact, until I got a new AC controller it was running off of an older (DC) MRC Tech II HO transformer I had. I know the manual that came with trolley said it was okay to run it on either AC or DC.

I'm pretty sure if you put a modern loco with sound on DC powered track it'll constantly trigger the whistle/horn or bell depending on which way the track is wired.