Lionel DC transformer help

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by nemad16, Nov 24, 2007.

1. nemad16

nemad16 New Member

Hi all, Newbie here - you have a great forum. I am trying to revive an ~25 year old Lionel O27 Gauge set with a DC powered loco. I am having several power issues and I'm wondering if anybody has repair suggestions. When I power it up, the train runs a bit even if the lever is all the way off. Then, I'll hear a 'clink' noise coming from the transformer and it stops running completely. Sometimes if I give the loco a nudge, it'll start up again. The transformer is a Lionel 4060 that powers the train with DC and accessories with AC. I have a light attached to the AC posts and it flickers on/off in sync with the train. It's not an issue with the loco as I had that checked out at a hobby shop. I'm guessing I need a new transformer, but AC/DC transformers are hard to come by on eBay. Does this problem sound like something that's fixable, or do I need to seek out a used but functional one elsewhere?
    Thanks in advance for any repair suggestions!
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I'm not familiar with Lionel DC (although, unlike some other people, I believe it actually exists).
    The clink sounds like the circuit breaker opening. I don't know why, but the main reasons are short circuit or too much load. Since it goes with a nudge, there may be something touching like a (insulated) wheel to the frame or a nail that's been picked up.
    Ask the hobby shop how they tested it. You may be able to replace the DC transformer with a regular DC power pack (of sufficient amperage) or a Lionel transformer + rectifier unit + reversing switch.
    When it stops, try nudging it different directions e.g. side to side vs back and forth to see if one of those makes it work.
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

The HO transformers I have (all two of them) also use AC to power accessories, so if you can find a high-amperage HO transformer, that should work. If you manage to accidentally find one that doesn't have AC outputs for accessories, pick up a small 25-40 watt AC transformer made by Marx, Lionel, or K-Line and use it to run your accessories. They're very inexpensive on eBay, usually around $10.
  4. nemad16

nemad16 New Member

I have a buddy that's a pretty good electrician that is going to take a look at it. Hopefully these tips will help point him in the right direction and I can get it up and running soon!
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If you don't have the original manual, look up Olsens's toy trains. They have a lot of instruction sheets online, and also sell parts.
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I forgot to confirm that yes, indeed, Lionel DC does exist. I don't know the exact timeframe they were produced, but certainly from the mid or late 1970s into the 1980s. I own one such set, in its original box. I see them from time to time at estate sales but they're almost always overpriced.
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i used to have an DC only lionel engine, almost any cheap dc HO transformer will work,,,, mine was one fast bugger to. made in the 1980's , most was put in the cheap cheap sets.

but mine was never sold to the public, it was given to lionel employees that completed there 60 days probation. i sold mine for 135.00. the ones just like it that was sold to the public is the same thing but a different color , there worth like 10.00. theres alot in the rock island road name on ebay now and then.
  8. otftch

otftch New Member

The Lionel Dc transformers were the same as the Bachman HO starter set transformers.They have the ac and dc terminals and are not very expensive.