lionel DC enigines that run on both AC and DC, ?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Nov 4, 2006.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

just how do this work?, so i can move this kind of engine from a track powered by AC to a track powered by DC , and not fry the engine? i have 1 DC only lionel engine, but not one that runs on both.
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Generally, AC engines will also run on DC, but DC engines don't run on AC. AC is like flipping the reverse switch back and forth 60 times a second; the engine doen't move bur it does get hot.
  3. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

As far as I know, you can't do it. Maybe some of the Lionel folks have an idea.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well i know in the 1980's they had engines that came with a sticker on the bottom that said somthing like " this engine runs on DC only" i have one of them. and i just went to the lionel website, there new stuff says somthing like " DC engine that runs on both AC and DC" then some dont say what they run on, i just assumed that you cant run AC stuff on DC, or DC on AC,

i need to know whats what, before i buy one, and then burn it
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

The modern Lionel stuff has a DC can motor in it, but it has a rectifier that changes the AC current from the transformer to DC. Some of the cheap engines from the 1980s just had a can motor in them, and the sets they came in shipped with an HO power supply. I have one of those. Don't try running one of those on a standard Lionel transformer, but all the stuff they're making now (and, for that matter, since at least 1995) works fine on them.

While the old postwar Lionels run fine on DC, feeding DC current to the modern stuff will harm the rectifier in it.

For what it's worth, the one Lionel DC engine I have runs very nicely. It's not much use to me though, since my layout is all AC.