Lionel Crane car

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Pocoblitzkreig, May 3, 2005.

1. Pocoblitzkreig

Pocoblitzkreig New Member

I just got a crane car made by lionel. It came with the Redwood Valley express set. It didn't come with the string for the hook and boom and I was wondering how to thread the string through the whole contraption. Any body be able to help?
  2. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Was it new?I have a K-line crane car and I could not find how to replace it,
  3. Pocoblitzkreig

Pocoblitzkreig New Member

No, I got it at a garage sale. The whole set was ragged andnot complete. I have fixed all the train cars except for the crane car. The hook is odd because it has a pulley on it.
  4. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

mine has a pully too , what i would do is since its not an engine with motors and stuff if there are screws take them out and see if there is a screw that holds the two halfs toghether, if not than it must be molded toghter
  5. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Take the cab off.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If it's anything like the one I had from the 50s, there is a wheel at the back of the cab for the boom and another on the side for the hook. The cab has two clips at the front (frame is visible through the plastic) and something at the back.
    Unscrew the wheel holding the boom. Gently spread the front of the cab until it pops loose. you should be able to get at the rod that the string wraps around. Tie string around the rod, run it out and up to pulley at end of boom, then down to pully on hook, then up to a little hole in the boom. Fasten it there with a knot (figure 8 knot).
    The hook should face inwards, but doesn't need to.
    Sorry, but I don't have the crane anymore to look at.
    If the directions for getting the cab off don't apply, ignore everything else I said.
  7. csxt30

csxt30 Member

Also, there may be a breakdown of it & part numbers & parts at Olsens Toy Train supply. I couldn't get the link to come up.,But they have a lot of info ! Thanks, John
  8. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Somewhere I have greenburgs manual to post war trains, I will hunt it up but you will have it figured out by then I am sure.

I am going to cut mine up and make a log loader out of it. I will tell you exactly how to thread it when I do.