Lionel 726 2-8-4 Question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by granpa, Jan 21, 2007.

1. granpa

granpa Member

Just unpacked this engine with it's original tender. Its been in the attic for 35+ years and would like to know a little bit of it's history, when built, etc.. I have searched the internet trying to find the #726 without any luck.

Also are there recommended repair manuals available for Lionel equipment pre-war and post war eras?

Excuse the dust, I'm still unpacking more goodies.

Thanks Granpa
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

You have a Lionel Berkshire Locomotive, 726 that was first introduced around 1946. The number was later changed to 736 in 1950 and the Berkshire was produced in this style for around 20 years. The 726 does not have magnetraction. If you have the matching tender it should be number 2426W.

The 726 went through many changes over its production years.

• Cab Window - Available with either a three or four window cab. The four-window cab -- having four small equally sized windows -- was produced in each year of the 726s production. The three-window cab -- having two smaller windows with a larger rear window -- was only produced in 1946 and 1947. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    • Smoke unit - The 1946 Berkshires used the smoke bulb unit. For 1947 through 1949, the heat-resistant wire smoke unit was used in all Berkshires.
    • Pilot - The 1946 and 1947 have a plain pilot on the front. For 1948 and 1949, a simulated knuckle coupler was cast into the pilot.
    • Cab number - when Lionel re-issued the 726 in 1952, most were numbered 726RR -- with RR indicating the locomotive is a re-run. However, some early 1952 production Berkshires simply carried the plain 726 without the RR.
    For parts I would recommend trying this link.

3. granpa

granpa Member

Renovo PPR ,

Thank you very much for the information. I shall print this information and save!

I will be posting more photos of various items later. Finding a place for all these items is becoming hard. I intend to restore each item I unpack. By the way, these items were brought from PA.

Somerset?? I was born in Uniontown, Fayette County, I have relatives in Casselman. A lot of history back there.

Thanks again for your valuable information and the link.
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

The information on this board never ceases to amaze me.

And granpa, that is one sweet looking old engine you've got there! :thumb: :cool:
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Given that loco's cosmetic condition (it's in very nice shape!) I wouldn't expect it to need very much to get it running again. As far as books on repair, there are a couple out there that were printed in the last decade or so but I think they're both out of print and getting very expensive on the secondhand market. I would check the public library for books by Ray Plummer and David Laughridge. They're in the library in St. Louis, so I would think they'd be in several libraries in Pennsylvania too.

Just to give you a ballpark figure, when I took two non-working Lionel postwar locomotives into the shop a couple of years back (they belonged to my Dad, who grew up across the state from you in Doylestown, PA), one cost about $50 to repair and the other cost about $75. The more expensive one was missing some parts. Both needed work on the e-unit, which drove the price up. If all they had needed was a cleaning and lube, it probably would have cost $40.

Like others said, that's one sweetheart of a locomotive. Please, please PLEASE get that running again so you and others can enjoy it!
  6. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I had two, they are good pullers and pretty valuable in very good condition.
  7. granpa

granpa Member

Thank all you folks,.. I maybe be missing for a while. I have a few Steamers to clean up. I'm glad I finally have a chance to do something I've wanted to do for years.