Lionel 1666 engine light problem

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by lionelsteam, Feb 7, 2007.

1. lionelsteam

lionelsteam New Member

hi, im new here, and i got a lionel 1666 steam engine and the front light keeps going out on me and i can't figure out why? this is what i tried...
    1. i cleaned the track 2 times, no difference
    2. cleaned the wheels, no difference
    3. checked all the track with an ohm reader for a short in the track and none found.
    4. cleaned both contacts to rails under engine, no difference

So what happens is when the train goes forward the light comes on, then 1 , 2 times around the track and the light goes out, 2 more times around the track light comes back on, then goes out, then comes back on...but every time i have to stop the train all the way, put in neutral, then the light comes back on and it goes 1 or 2 times around before the light goes out. any help whats wrong would be helpful. thanks.
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

After 50 years a wire might be loose or a connection could be corroded. Even the bulb could be going bad or the holder could not be a tight as it should be.

Personally I would take the top off and check the wires then replace the bulb to start troubleshooting the problem.
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Definately sounds like a short in the wiring somewhere.
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I agree, make sure the wires look good (no worn away insulation, solid solder joint) and the bulb holder looks reasonably clean and shiny. And a new bulb certainly wouldn't hurt.
  5. lionelsteam

lionelsteam New Member

Well i tried to get to the light, and remove the front trucks wheels to slide the light out. The problem was the light base had wires running from the base to the engine, and i couldn't take it out. The front of this engine dosen't open on this model, so do i have to take out the whole engine to replace the light?(i hope not) Does anyone know where i might be able to find instructions on how to replace the light?

I just don't wanna break the train trying to replace the light.
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

If the front doesn't come off, then you're gonna have to take out the motor to get to the light.
  7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

On the 1666 I'm not sure, but I think there's a screw on the top of the locomotive that you remove, and then I think the motor will either slide out, or rotate out on a hinge. There may be a couple of screws on the side but I'm not sure. Every family of Lionel steamer is just a little bit different.

If you have a digital camera, take before and after pictures of everything you do, and you should be able to figure out how to put it back together. The first time you take a motor out is always intimidating, but it's almost always just a matter of taking out a couple of screws.
  8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Changing a bulb is pretty easy and it is safe to tear apart your 1666. While I don’t have a 1666 to give you exact information I can tell you what to look for.

First look to see if there are screws above the front trucks. If so take them out and the bulb holder should tilt down give you room to replace the bulb.

If this doesn’t work look to see if there is a screw just behind the smoke stack or bell on top of the shell. If so take this out. Then you might need to take the connecting rods off of the main drive wheels so that you can get the rods out of the front of the body. Then the motor assembly should tilt down.

If you don’t have any of the above features let me know.

You just might have to play around with a few things to figure out what works for your 1666.

[FONT=&quot]I would bet you just might have a short since the locomotive was made between 1946-1947.[/FONT]