lights inside train cars?

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Just wondering if it possible to put a light inside a train that has no light already? I want to light up the inside of my caboose.

Roch

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
In a word - yes... ;)

If you are running on DCC, you can put in a decoder to control lights.

If you are running "traditional" DC, you can have power pickups that use track power to light the bulb.

With either control system, you can insulate the caboose (plastic wheels and/or axels) and use a battery instead.

Andrew

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
In a word - yes... ;)

If you are running on DCC, you can put in a decoder to control lights.

If you are running "traditional" DC, you can have power pickups that use track power to light the bulb.

With either control system, you can insulate the caboose (plastic wheels and/or axels) and use a battery instead.

Andrew

Thank all for the input so far. :thumb:

I am using "traditional" DC. Any links showing how to install power pickups? Or even where to get or preferably make my own?

Roch

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi...I did just what you're attempting to do...but track power pick-up through the trucks is next to impossible. You'll get so much flickering it spoils the effect. I'm going to go with battery power (when I get around to it...).

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Hi...I did just what you're attempting to do...but track power pick-up through the trucks is next to impossible. You'll get so much flickering it spoils the effect. I'm going to go with battery power (when I get around to it...).

WHat kind of batteries would be used?

N

nachoman

if you use LEDs for lights, a couple of AAA batteries can last maybe 10-20 hours (depending on how many leds and what kind of batteries). If you use a small incandescent lamp, the batteries may only last an hour or two.

I once contemplated putting rechargible NiCADs in my cars, and having them recharge from track power. That way, the passenger cars would stay lit when stopped at a station, yet I would not have to replace batteries so often. A large capacitor would eliminate the flickering, but I am not sure how that would affect the DCC signal.

Kevin