Lighting your layout.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I'm building a double deck layout, and I am looking for ideas what to use for lighting, both levels? Would you use the same kind of lights for both? Thank you in advance!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Using the same kind would be consistent. It might depend on the effects you want -- if you have a wide open prairie on one deck and a smoggy city on the other.
Think about heat buildup -- look for low temperature bulbs. Suggestions anyone?

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I thought about using compact flourscent bulbs, ( the cork screw bulbs) every 2 feet or so. They are bright enough, the smae as a 60W incandescent, but I don't know if there would be too many light and dark areas. Anyone else ever used these?

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Especially for the lower level lighting - think about what the underside of the upper level will be like - it will have probably as much affect on the lower level lighting as anything. Will it be a relatively smooth, reflective surface? What color? Etc.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:

What about the "rope lights" that the kids are using as decorations? These are flexible and could be afixed to the bottom of the upper shelf to add light to the lower. It's not bright light but might be a nice effect. They are available in colors too, red, blue, etc.

Regards,
Ted