Lighting for daylight balanced film?

Freddo

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Hi All,

I've got great Nikon 35mm equipment (nature photography is still a passion). I want to start photographing my layout progress for many reasons (besides posting here on The Gauge).

Please share your wealth of knowledge as I can't be the only dude (or dudette) using non-digital equipment.

Thanks to all in advance! - Fred

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
I'm no photography expert, but I too use 35mm,
but I do have some tips about lighting. My wife
does a lot of video editing and I made her 4 photo
floods stands (another discussion if you're interested :)

we use regular outdoor floodlights (generally 3) but make
one of them blue, this evens out the tendency for indoor
light to give a greenish tinge to your photos.

The will undoubtedly be many other more experienced people
that will reply to this thread as can be seen from the many
amazing photo's that are posted :) but I wish you luck

Graham

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hello Freddo, I still use the old goat, a Minolta X700, and probably will as long as I can see to focus it. Your strobe should be daylight balanced and you need a filter for tungsten or halogen flood lamps. At the very bottom of the front page, under archives, there is the academy, and you should find a how-to on model photgraphy. Very good information, including what filter you need (I want to say 80 B and C). Shamus has it on his website as well. You can click on the Badger Crick Logo here Highly recommended reading. I too was more experianced in outdoor lighting and found it helpful.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Freddo,
As Jon stated, you can go to my website, or use this link for "Photography"
http://www.paultemplar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mrp.htm

Cheers
Shamus
wink.gif

Freddo

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Silly Me...

Thanks Shamus...

Silly me never clicked "Next Page" to reveal "all" that other information. I'll be reading it later tonight. And will check back here too!

Thanks a mint to all of you...

Regards - Fred

Freddo

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Fluorescent Daylight Tubes?

Hi Again All,

Can anyone recommend a fluorescent daylight tube I can try? Also, somewhereI read that a halogen light is 3200°K. That plus a filter should do the trick right? I have a couple of shop light that might be the ticket...

TIA - Fred

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Phillips TLD 58w are my tubes, halogen light is 3200°K. will need an 80B filter, also the shop lights, are they tungsten? or white lights.? If they are white lights, they are not good enough on their own, you will get a colour cast, and are not true daylights.

Shamus
wink.gif

Freddo

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Phillips TLD 58w Tubes

Hi Shamus,

Are the Phillips TLD 58w tubes fluorescent or halogen? Do you have a part number or would this be enough to find/order these?

Thanks for the follow-up!

Kind regards - Fred

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Here is how it works. If you use regular household lamps (they are balanced at 3200'), you will need to use an 80A filter with daylight film. If you shoot outdoors in the shade you need an 81B filter with daylight film. If you shoot under flourecent lights, you need an FL-D filter with daylight film. Your best bet with filters is to use Tiffen filters. Also, get a set of close-up filters. When you are all set up, shoot at the smallest aperature setting possible (f 16 or f 22) then adjust your shutter speed to match. If it is too dark use brighter bulbs. Try using a 200 watt bulb above and behind the camera and a 100 watt bulb to the opposite side and level with the lens. If you go to Home Depot you can find some nice clip on work lights with shades. I went to Michael's (craft store) and found plastic crochet pallets that made great inexpensive (39 cents each) diffusers.

Freddo

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks for the info. regarding the filters. I'll take a look and read up on them. I'll be sure to follow up with another post if there are any "other" questions!

Thanks all...
-- Fred