Lighting Cabooses

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by coyote, Nov 20, 2004.

1. coyote

coyote New Member

I have recently taken up the hobby again after a 20+ year absence. I've chosen BC Rail as the road to model. I'm currently repainting an N Scale Atlas EV caboose in BCR colours and want to add interior and rear lighting to the caboose while it is all apart. Any ideas on how I might do this? My local retailer suggested borrowing from a Kato but couldn't be more specific. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge.

I've never been happy with the flickering that is produced when caboose and passenger car lighting is picked up off of the track, usually thru wipers on the axles or sliders under the trucks. My solution is to carry an onboard battery, usually a AA, connected to a small switch under the car. Button cell batteries are used when there are interior details to be highlighted. This would be the route to go when I modeled in N scale.
  3. kjd

kjd Member

Use LEDs instead of incandecent bulbs and they will last much longer. or something like that has white LEDs smaller than 2x3 mm.
  4. farmer ron

farmer ron Member

There is one of the guys around here that super details engines and rolling stock, for his caboose's he drills two small holes in the upper back corners, he then uses fiber optics in the hole, these are connected to an led which is connected to a small battery in the caboose. There is no flickering, he uses a magnetic switch to turn the lights on and off. Looks very impressive. Ron..