Lighthouse

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I downloaded a paper lighthouse kit from Fiddlers Green (www.fiddlersgreen.net) and put it together as a Christmas present for my wife, Kristi. It was a fantastic kit! They have a bunch of lighthouses on their site, too. This one is the Yaquina (ya-quin-a) Head Lighthouse. I thought I'd share...

Attachments

• yaquina head-front.jpg
    yaquina head-front.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 129

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
This is the side that faces the wall. I put the seams on the tower on this side, but didn't realize that this was actually the more interesting side to view until it was too late... Oh, well... Live and learn!

Attachments

• yaquina head-side1.jpg
    yaquina head-side1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 124

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
This is the "presentation" side of the model. The base is made of a piece of blue foam with curved sides carved into it. I used the standard techniques for the scenery...

Attachments

• yaquina head-side2.jpg
    yaquina head-side2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 123

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Thanks for the compliments. But I can't take much of the credit. Most of the credit goes to the model itself. I just put the pieces together! :)

This particular one is in N-scale. But when you buy them (I think they're all $2.95 apiece) you can download any or all of three scales (HO, N and Z). N-scale was the most practical for me. HO wouldn't have fit on the mantel as well, and Z would be way too small for me to assemble...

I've done other paper models, and have even made some of my own; so this wasn't a first attempt. The lighthouse can be done as complex or as simple as you like. It's designed so that the more difficult details can be excluded and the model will still look good.

The most difficult paper model I've ever assembled was one of Thomas the Tank Engine by Takahiro Kojima. Here is his web address:

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/papermodel/

I'd suggest using Babel Fish, unless you can read Japanese...

The Thomas models are at: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...ty.ne.jp/papermodel/htmls/Mymodel/Mod00j.html

These are really nice models. I intend to rebuild Thomas since he's gotten kinda worn (and I think I can do it better the second time). I plan on making all of them, eventually...