Lighthouse Model Art - going out of Business

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by lighthouse, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The next local meet I am going to represent card modeling big.

All the projects I have completed with be sitting on tables with the tag.

MATERIAL: Paper.
  2. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

Hear, Hear.

Another important thing you can do is this: Donate (or loan) your finished models to your local school or library. That's where kids are going (or are being sent to, anyway). Make an attractive display, with lots of information on how CHEAP, EASY and ACCESSIBLE our hobby is. And where to get some free starter kits, of course.

I guess nowadays, if it hasn't got batteries or makes noise, it's not interesting for kids. They don't see making something as a worthwhile pursuit, they're only interested in the end product. And, of course, there's XBox, Nintendo, Playstation etc. where lots of time is spent making - well, nothing.

But it all comes down to public relations: if people don't know about card modeling they won't ever pick up the hobby.

Incidentally - is there a wikipedia entry on card modeling??

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Free starter kits? If the library (or wherever) lets you setup a display, print some free downloads (with proper credit of course) and put them next to the display. Maybe ask those that built them to bring them in to add to the display later and judge for a small prize (like a purchased kit for the top two or three) if you can afford to spare a couple anyway. Just a thought. :)

4. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Wow can you believe this? I have just recieved my order from Ralph in less then a week to the UK. I can't believe it, I only paid for the surface shipping which was supposed to be 1-3 months and cost $7.20 for four models. And people were complaining about Ralph's shipping charges, top job Ralph this was my first order with you and I wish I could make more (actually I did!).
  5. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Model Building as a Life Skill

I got introduced to modelling as a lad in the mid-1950's, by my late uncle Stan who was an aeronautical engineer (and who, btw, was involved with the Avro Arrow project.)

Half a century later, I am still deriving tremendous enjoyment from it, and making a little money as well. Were it not for what I learned as a kid, I doubt that I would have become a semi-professional 1:1 wildlife artist and instructor. And I still have my initial love of finescale to fall back upon, in case 1:1 fish and birds start to get ho-hum.

Model building, in whatever form, teaches a number of EXTREMELY valuable skills: research, observation, creative problem solving, discipline, attention to detail, patience, hand-eye coordination....and I could still go on.

Introduce a kid to model building in whatever form (even carving!! :) ) encourage him/her in this pastime, and you will equip that kid with skills and an interest that will keep them busy and interested for a lifetime. Furthermore, even if they leave it for a few years, they can always come back. I know, because I have.

When I did return to my finescale roots, I was TOTALLY SHOCKED at the price of plastic kits these days. I am sure glad that I discovered card modelling!!!

I am really sorry to see Ralf close up. As for the rest of us: we know where the challenge lies!

Think globally: ACT locally!!

6. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Goney3: Maybe having prisoners do paper models might not be such a good idea. I bet the knife and scissors will be cutting everything but the paper!

SteveO: I have had whole display tables filled with paper models at the last 3 shows in both Shearwater and at the Fleet Club. I usually give about half of them away. I try to give them to the kids mostly, but anybody can have them. I leave a little sign on the table that says free at the end of the show. The table always attracts a lot of amazed people. With the show at the Fleet Club the models can be made out of anything, which is great, because this allows you to enter the paper into the competition. Shearwater you have to be at least 70% plastic for competition, but for display it can be anything.
    The attachment shows the table from this years Shearwater Display.

The link below will give details for this years show at the Fleet Club in Halifax for anyone who is interested.

Attached Files:

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You gave those away? Very nice!! What kind of clubs are these? Anyone know of any in the madison wisconsin area?

This is becoming quite the diverse thread....
  8. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

I kept some.
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'll be there.
  10. popala

popala Member

It is not just the kids - it is the society as a whole. When it comes to any product or activity the prevalent theme in consumer driven society is "easy and fun" - instant gratification without all the effort or pain. We often value convenience and comfort over anything else and it is visible even in our hobbies. This might be part of the reason why plastic models and expensive aftermarket add-ons are so popular when compared to paper. It is easier to drop $200 on a plastic kit and a set of photo etched parts than to build something from a paper kit and fabricate any add-ons from scratch. For many modelers plastic models offer a more accurate depiction of the real thing without all the effort required to assemble a paper model - more models with less effort translates into "easy and fun" for the consumer and coincidentally a higher profit for the manufacturer. The best example of this attitude is the scale model club where I am the only paper modeler. None of the members want to try this form of scale modeling. People look at my models and say: "Wow, this is paper? Looks great but I don't want to spend 3 months building a model. Good luck with that".

I love paper because to me building a paper model isn't as much about the final product and getting somewhere in the end as it is about the journey itself (I know, I know - it sounds cheesy and corny - something Data would say to his android daughter ;) ). The process of transforming flat nothing into 3d still amazes me every time. Of course I do get a lot of satisfaction from completed models but it is quickly overshadowed by the joy I feel when I cut out the first part of my next creation.

I really don't see paper modeling ever becoming a mainstream hobby. It simply isn't easy and fun enough for most people. Watching football, playing games on PlayStation, collecting baseball cards or putting together a scrapbook are all fun and easy. No one can blame people for preferring easy fun stuff over boring, tedious, labor intensive hobby in this age of entertainment.

Lighthouse closing is a huge loss. I only hope that Paper Model Store, Hobby Factory and Card Model Shop will not follow the suit.

(... and GPM and Gomix and Orlik and WAK and CardPlane and Modelik and Gremir and others I failed to mention)
  11. goney3

goney3 Member

Actually thats not true... my father is at San Quentin Prison and he loves the models I send him. Him and the other inmates find great joy in this hobby and wish they had better access to them.

The younger hot-heads are dangerous, but the older ones who have been there a long time just want to serve their time. And when you make only $0.22 an hour a $3 card-model is just perfect :)

This is actually how I got into card models, I wanted to send my father the FG model of the J-3 Cub (his favorite plane of all time) and I just dived into the rest from there.
    I have also sent models of motorcycles, planes, and even Christmas trees to other inmates there. Many of which are very touched and thankful. One guy cried after I sent him an A-10 model (he used to work on them during Operation Desert Storm).

I would encourage all card model vendors to at least look into it.
    Prisons vary with their rules, I know San Quentin doesn't like me sending him "pointy" models or rockets of any kind (they just refuse them).
    You're talking about a HUGE customer base that has the TIME and money to do these things. :D
    I used to perferate the model before sending them, but my dad tells me the inmates have access to simple art supplies and white glue... and sometimes they "hot glue" the model together by using the microwave! :rofl:

Hehehe, you should have seen the look on the guards faces when they found the 3ft paper christmas tree I sent the laundry department last year! They couldn't figure out how it got there. They were AMAZED that it was made out of only paper and that it came through the mail.