Lift Bridge

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Extending the side boards to the other end would be perfect! I'm with Loren... if I didn't already have my lift-out done, I would do it like this.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I wired my removable sections with killable sections about a yard (or a meter) long on both sides. I used phone plugs (1/4") at each end to carry the current (backup to the rail joiners) and they have to be disconnected to remove the section.
I wired the dead sections by gapping a different rail at each end (N on one side, S on the other) and having that section fed through the removable bit from the other end. This should protect any train with the loco at the front; can't protect against the person that backs a long train into the gap.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I like you basic design, Jim. I think I would make my roadbed from wood and start it about 6 inches back from the end of the bridge extending it to under the ends of the track on the bridge. Then at the end of the table where the bridge comes down, remove the cork so the rails will line up on a level plane. The wood roadbed would then protect the track and rails from any accidental damage.

BigJim

Nov 19, 2006
North Plains, Oregon
dixiemtn.com
Sid,

Thanks - Your comments make a newbie proud.

Russ,

I agree and do plan on making some changes. Just wanted to post the first version to show the advantages of locating the pivot away from the edge of the opening.

My thoughts include using wood or plastic and having some "bumps" on either side of the track ties to also align it side-to-side as it comes down. (Cross section - Tie is shown in red)
align.gif

I also want to experiment with an air strut like to ones on my truck topper window. With the right geometry and a slight over center it could both hold it straight up and put slight pressure down when closed. Mini-van rear door ones might have to much push but the window ones on my topper seem about right. Next time I am near the place where I purchased it I will buy a replacement strut. Won't they be suprised when someone buys a single strut.

Strut is blue. Black line just shows a connection bar/pipe. It needs to be bent to miss the table edge support. If anybody gets around to trying this before I do let me know how it works.

...jim

strut.gif

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
The first picture is what I started with and after I cut the ends off. It started out as a Atlas Warren Truss Bridge. I used 5 of them.

Attachments

• bridge2.jpg
    bridge2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 38