LifeLike N scale URSA 2-8-8-2 Mallet Picture

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Ian (and Jon),
thanks for posting this picture.

It is stirring up dear memories of my first N&W Y6b in N scale. This was way back in 1973, when Con-Cor brought out exactly the same Mallet. My picture shows her leaving Trim Creek Yard with an ore train.

Compared to today's standards her painting and lettering was fairly crude. But the details on the boiler, cab and tender were beautiful, and the whole 'monkey motion' was detailed extremely fine and ran without the slightest bind.
She pulled like mad and ran like clockwork. I timed her slowest speed at about 5 scale mph. :cool: 30 years ago that was unheard of! Most locos stood... and stood... and suddenly they dashed off, at least with 30 mph.

When I dismantled my Trim Creek Southern she got a place of honor in a showcase in or living room. And one day the whole case simply fell to the floor... :eek: :eek: :eek:
The drive rods where shattered to smithereens, the superstructure scratched by glass shards - total desaster :( :( :(
Happy to see that this beautiful engine is produced again!

Ron

PS: The price for my Y6b in 1973 was about $50. :D What does it cost now?

Attachments

• y6bleavingtrim creek.jpg
    y6bleavingtrim creek.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 67

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Ian,

That sure is a beautiful engine to say the very least. I would love to get one. I read it will run on nine and three quarter curves but what in your opinion what would be the smallest radius it would run on and still look good? Thanks Ron :confused:

camelot

Jan 12, 2003
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
This Loco i bought for $160 Au , which is probably arround $95 US at the moment.

Not sure if this model is the Y3 or Y6

As for the turning radius , wouldn't have a clue , i model HO logging , just couldn't resist this and it is my first N scale .Also i don't have a layout , i run it on the local clubs N-track.So i can't really help , but the bigger the radius the better the look i imagine .

Cheers

Ian