Lifelike N locos--why so cheap on ebay?

jobfather

Am new to N gauge but have noticed that Lifelike locos are being sold at discounts not normally seen. Can someone enlighten me?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Welcome to The Gauge. I can't say since I don't frequent Ebay, but I know this, Model Expo is advertising LL GP-38's, GP-18's and EMD-20's for under $20, and if you by during one of their "sales", you can get another 25% off that, plus another 5% if you place your order on the net. This may be the reason they are so cheap on Ebay, because you can buy them brand new from a dealer for a bit over $14 each.

Oh, by they way, how cheap are they on Ebay? LIke I said, I don't go there so I wouldn't know. :) Maybe I should.....:rolleyes:

Don

jobfather

EzDays--
Your info relates mostly to current models which reinforces what I saw on ebay which is older models but new, ie, E-8/9s and PAs etc some listed for as low as $1, in another case $14.99 etc. Supposedly these originally listed for $60-65 or more. I guess it's becoming obvious to this long time HO guy that there's a huge difference between Proto2000 HO and Lifelike N gauge....not the case with Atlas or Kato. But, overall, I guess I'm not that enamored with even Proto2000 anymore either. They just don't run as well as the Atlas or Kato units. Thanks.

ezdays

Out AZ way
I am relatively new to MRR, still working on my first N scale layout so I am not the voice of experience. I have a bunch to learn and his is the place to get answers believe me. I bought a couple of those LL's from Model Expo to get some experience at running and painting them. If I screw up, at least I haven't ruined an expensive loco.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

One dollar? Geeze, like the TV ad says, "what can you get for a buck now days?":D

Don

ezdays

Out AZ way
Originally posted by jobfather
Don-
From my point of view best brand in N gauge is Atlas. Kato's are good but pricey. Good luck!
John
Someday I'll find out, but just the other day I had a Bachman F9 take a dive off my layout onto the cement floor when a turnout switched by itself to a siding that didn't have a bumper on it. :mad: Boy, I'd of been sick of that was an Atlas or a Kato.:rolleyes:

I'm learning, but it's gunna take time ;) ;)

Don

jrparish

thee engines are cheap because they are really hard to get magna matic couplers on them!the box is made so the coupler will move up and down instead of opening.the delayed action then doesnt work. we(my dad and I) got two and now we cant use them!

roryglasgow

jrparish,

What kind of engines are they? If you're wanting to unload them, you might want to consider posting them here on The Gauge. There have been several people working on kitbashed locos, and a Life-Like loco can make a good start.

brakie

The LL GP20 is one of the best LL units made..It will rank right up there with Atlas and Kato in looks and operation..The best part id the MT coupler is a snap to install..The SW1200 is also a nice unit.

CSX6638

I have 8 LL GP-20's and they will run with the best Atlas of which I have several including the new GP-38's, and I only paid $14.99 to $17.99 each at Model Expo. The coupler is a snap to change to MT's, or you can make a transition car, A Rapido on one end and an MT on the other, I made 4 such cars as I have about 50 Bachmann freight cars and I don't want to spend the money to change the couplers, and I have about 50 MT cars, with the transition cars I can mix them up in a consist with out a problem. I have about 30 other LL engines and had a problem with only one of them, returned it to LL and they sent me a new one within 10 days. I have been very satisfied with their products. And the little SW1200 is probably one of the best switchers on the market.

K.V.Div

Hi jrparish, Welcome to the Gauge.
The Lifelike GP20 takes the Microtrains 1015 (short shank) and the 1016 (long shank).
All locomotives using the 1015/1016 have coupler mounting pilot holes which are slightly too big for the assembled coupler boxes.
The coupler will sit too low in the pilot hole on all Lifelike locomotives so equipped.
Microtrains supplies one thin plate for each coupler which matches the contour of the coupler box. This is called the "Universal Mounting Shim" and is placed on the bottom of the coupler box in order to bring the coupler up to height and allows the coupler box to fit snugley in the pilot hole.
I have never had a problem coupling on any of the many Lifelike I own.
Cheers!

Terry