Lifelike GP9RM

Supaned

May 31, 2008
United Kingdom
Hi all ,

I'm researching with a view to building a small N scale switching layout . To be a bit different from the norm , I would like to set the layout in Canada , in CN territory.

I would like to use a GP9RM as a yard and trip freight loco , and I see that lifelike made this model in N scale.

Unfortunately , I can't find any photos of the model online so that I can see if it is worth purchasing one.

Can anybody who has one offer their assistance and opinion? Also I'd like to convert to Microtrains knuckle couplers , has anybody done this and which coupler did you use?

Many thanks

Rich

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Rich...You might try a search on eBay for that particular model. I'm often surprised by the availability of "obscure" and discontinued models you find there.

Good luck...!!!

BTW...Welcome to The Gauge..!!

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Rich, welcome to The Gauge.
Please, stay away from that model. I purchased it last fall and was very disappointed with it:

- Just by touching it, the decal with the engine number just fell apart. The same for the yellow strip around the engine. If it was the only problem I wouldn't mind.

- The engine is very very noisy . That defect I can still take it.

-Worse, the engine is prone to numerous derailments and stops frequently due to poor contacts.

I went to a model railroad show here in Montreal last winter and those facts were confirmed by another model railroader

I'm not here to bash Life-Like because one of my best running N scale engine is a Life-Like Proto N GP18.
It looks like the Proto N serie is very good but the non Proto N is crappy.

Here is a picture of that GP9RM anyway.
I have to admit, that chop nose GP9 looks great ( beauty is only plastic shell deep ) , I still can see some of them on the CN line down the road 100 yards from my home.
Jacques

Atlas just released a non chop nose CN gP9 last fall. I purchased 2 of them and they run flawlessly.

GP9RM.jpg

ScratchyAngel

Mar 25, 2008
Pullman, WA
I think you could make it work with a GP18 w/sacrifice of chopping the weight under the nose. I'm pretty sure the gear is low enough to not get in the way, the question would be whether having twice as much weight under one end would make it run wonky.

Supaned

May 31, 2008
United Kingdom
Guys ,

Thanks for the welcomes and the replies. I managed to find a couple more pics of the model online , it's a pity that there are issues , as in the pics I've seen it looks quite a decent model. Maybe a coat of varnish would stop the decals from coming off?

While I decide what to do , I've ordered a GP40-2 shell and a Kaslo widecab kit to try to bash a GP40-2LW...

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Here is my policy..If I want a certain locomotive I will either look it over and test run it at a hobby shop,ask local N Scalers or I will just buy the locomotive.
Also keep in mind Biased turkey may have gotten a bad locomotive that slid by QC.It happens with ALL brands including Atlas and Kato.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Larry,
The first thing that I observed when I opened the GP9RM was the big difference between the bottom side of the frames and their equivalent on the Proto N GP18.

They are not the same parts at all.
The GP9RM is in the scrapbox ( in my locker ) . I'll see if I can post comparative pictures , maybe tonight, or for sure tomorrow.

Jacques

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I checked the GP9-RM trucks and they are exactly the same as on the the Proto N GP18 model.
I didn't check the drive.

The GP9-RM was Licensed to Life-Like by Hobbycraft Canada.

By the way, I realise thatmaybe I was too harsh on the non ProtoN models because I remeber that I have a TH&B Sw9-1200 that runs nicely.
Was I ( as Brakie mentions ) the victim of a bad engine that slids by the QC ?

Jacques

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,I could understand a bad runner with the older GP18 drives as they were at best hit and miss unlike the upgraded GP18/20 which has been a proven smooth runner..The older GP18 has a cruel looking fuel tank fashion from a chunk of lead...This might be even better.

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/llgp18.html

That's why I was looking hard at your picture because that fuel tank favors the tank found on the newer split frame drives made in China..