LifeLik vs. MT couplers

Herc Driver

LifeLike vs. MT couplers

I have to confess...I've got three GP38 units by LifeLike that I've been so far unsuccessful at converting to MT couplers. I've read the instructions, carefully tried to follow them but so far, I have't been able to get any installed exactly right. Anyone out there that has cracked this code care to share their expertise?

Herc Driver

My apologies for typing when trired at 1 am...I should have added this information.

The MicroTrains coupler should be #1135 according to the spread sheet I downloaded on the MicroTrains website. And I believe I have pre-1995 Bloomberg trucks, and that's the correct coupler stock number for that truck according to the website. (And maybe this is where I'm going wrong...could they be post-1995 Bloomberg's and how exactly does one tell the difference? Post 1995 is a different coupler stock number.)

I've had no problem modifying all of my Bachmann Spectrum (and non-Spectrum) diesels...but I'm 0 for 3 with these LifeLike's. Seems like the parts just don't fit well at all, and when everything is placed where the directions say, they coupler barely stays on and isn't at the right angle to connect to anything else. I'm sure it's all the fault of the installer, but I'm at a loss to know why. I've read, read, and re-read the instructions...without a good result.

So if any of you have modified your's successfully, did you run into probles and figured out how to fix it - apart from what the directions said? I think I just might have the wrong coupler from MT (and am trying to fit a square peg into a round hole).