Life Like proto 1000 R17 subway cars

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by fire-man-jason, Jun 3, 2003.

1. fire-man-jason

fire-man-jason New Member

Help, is anybody out there had problems with Life Like's Proto 1000 R17 Unpowered subway car?. I've just bought 3 sets and on the first run all 3 have over heated where L/L have installed a large resistor "thingy" to take place of where the motor would have been installed. The heat was to the extent it has started to melt the body above it. There appears to be no shorts on the P/C board and the lighting still works O/K. Is there a problem with the model or am I just very unlucky??????

2. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

First of all, welcome to The Gauge.

Now I don't know anything about these cars, but I do know something about electronics and my first guess is that you could be running your voltage too high. I'm assuming that the only function of bringing power to the car is to light the interior lights. If the resistor is heating up to the point that it is melting the plastic, then the next thing that will probably happen is the lights will burn out and you won't have the heating problem any more. :eek: The resistor is there to limit the current to the lamps and to provide a voltage drop. The more voltage you have, the more power you drop through the resistor and it can only dissapate this power in heat.

That's just a guess without knowing more about those cars.:) Try running with less voltage and see what happens then.