Life Like noisy

Mattoon

May 2, 2006
I have 2 Proto 2000 GP 30s that have a very noticable "thump" to them. The noise comes from the trucks, seems to be on one truck each. I can't figure out what it could be. I've had both apart and all I found wrong was both locos were drenched in oil. I cleaned both up and still had the problem. I even checked each gear under a magnifing glass. To me, it sounds like there is a piece of loose balast on one of the wheels. Has anyone else had this issue with a Proto 2000? I have 3 other P2K's, and they are fine, 1 gp30 and 2 GP 18's.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hmm..

Could it be the infamous cracked gear problem? P2K Geeps have a tendency to have cracked gears.

Check the gears on the axles closely and see if there are any obvious and no-so-obvious hairline cracks. If they are, that's where the noise is coming from. The cure is simple-- Ask Life-Like for replacements (they will send them to you for free), or drop in Athearn geared axles (the LL P2K parts are clones of the Athearn axles).

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Thumpy thump thumpy thump is the call of a crack gear..
Don't bother Life Like..They are no longer in the model business..Contact Walthers since they own the Life Like line of model products.

Mattoon

May 2, 2006
Thank you fellas!! I had noticed the LL trucks are very similar to Athearn trucks. I'll try gears from a couple of extra Athearn trucks I have lying around.