Life-Like: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

What Is The Quality of Life-Like Engines?

• Good

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Just OK

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters

kokoracer

Nov 30, 2006
Springfield Mass. USA
www.angelfire.com
LL got me into the hobby with their roadbed track. Would not have come back otherwise. Had a couple of GP38s that ran okay and will buy another since it is an inexpensive way to fill out the roster.

I am upgrading to the Bachmann roadbed track as I have become more serious and the LL has limited avaliblity.

MHO, Good for beginners!!

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
I just bought a set "A & B" powered unit. Was very pleased at first. It the Proto not sure exactly what. Had a derailment by mistake on my part and the B unit completely out ran the A unit. Then I started noticing going up hill the B unit was pushing the A unit. Don't know if it's suppose to do that or if theres something wrong. Maybe there is a way to adjust them?

nscaler711

Mar 23, 2007
CO MO
Kokoracer, IMHO id suggest using Kato's Unitrack, (or whatever its called lol)
b/c its a bit sturdier than Bmann's EZ Track, and it looks, and operates better too! but yea, on to LL
i will be purchasing a LL FA/FB-2 set soon, hopefully in time for the 24th!

nscaler711

Mar 23, 2007
CO MO
Nolink, if its possible, you should jus switch the A units shell onto the B units frame, body etc.. and do the same for the B units shell to the A unit's frame

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
I have quite a few Lifelike N-scale diesels and I like them.

I also have many Atlas and Kato diesels and I think the Lifelikes deserve a place next them.

Also have four of the Intermountain FT A-B units. They run nice too.

Haven't tried any Bachmann lately but the older stuff were in the toy catagory.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
nolink5750;

It's not uncommon for 2 locos to run at slightly different speeds. Basically, the more you pay for them, the closer the speeds will be, but they'll never be exact.

As was suggested, swap the shells so that the faster loco is leading.

As far as Bachmann is concerned, while their older stuff was quite "toylike", looking at their latest offerings (the last 2 years or so), their quality is quite good. Not Spectrum, mind you, but still quite good for the price point.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's not uncommon for 2 locos to run at slightly different speeds. Basically, the more you pay for them, the closer the speeds will be, but they'll never be exact.

As was suggested, swap the shells so that the faster loco is leading.
A common suggestion in this case is that the A-unit's headlight is causing it to use more power.

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
So I could disconnect the head light or add a light to the B unit. It does have a side window on each side. Maybe that would work. Thx.......

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
I noticed Walthers has taken over Lifelike and they offer an RS-2 in two different ERIE road numbers as well as many other roads.

Does anyone have one of the LL RS-2's yet and how does it compare to the Kato or Atlas RS series locos?

The pictures of the LL RS-2 look great.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I already voted a few months ago giving the highest score for my 2 Life-Like Proto N engines ( 1 Mopac GP18 and 1 TH&B SW9-1200 )
1 month ago I purchased 1 Life-Like Canadian National GP9 chop nose with sergeant stripes. I really wanted that model but I'm very disappointed with it.
Very very noisy and clunky . I wouldn't mind if those were the only problems, but the engine is very unreliable, doesn't run at low speed and stalls on the turnouts.
My new conclusion is: If it's a Proto N model, go for it but if it is not the proto N serie avoid it.

Jacques