Liaz TBV18.40/DD Truck and Trailer

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by David H, Jul 13, 2008.

1. modelperry

modelperry Member

Hope you are feeling better. Every little bit of progress is still progress. Keep up the good work.

2. David H

David H Member

Thanks Greg,

Being back at work is no tonic... it soo quiet. Looking forward to nightly progress on the truck is the only activity keeping my spirits up!

3. David H

David H Member

Begin Truck'n

Hey I finished the tractor unit! It was hard work and I feel a little deflated. What do you all think...

The cab was in no short measure a pain. I built it twice and the front 4 times before I was happy! Even then it is a bit rough up close.

To my eye the 1:32 origins are more obvious now, that said it's a big old wagon and the trailer should be easy enough. Together they will be an impressive item.
  4. modelperry

modelperry Member

Very very nice. :thumb: Can't wait to see how the trailer turns out!

5. redhorse

redhorse Member

Well.... I think that's really impressive!! Great work!
  6. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

Very good job!!!
  7. David H

David H Member

And of course the cab tilts to allow access to the engine. The connecting piece between air filter and cab-back intake trunking was a pain.

8. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

What did you do for the windows ?
  9. David H

David H Member

Window Material

I recycled part of a Tunnocks Tea Cake box, the plastic window through which you view the delicious if very sugary biscuit / cake. They are so sweet that even coke tastes bland after a helping...

I always try and salvage this plastic sheet anytime the little cakes show up in the goodies cupboard.

And I think I have found my new avatar; the Tunnock's boy... if only you knew...

Anyway the glazing isn't as good as the photos might suggest particularly the windscreen.

Tunnock's transparent plastic is very very thin (much thinner than overhead projector film for example) and it does take and keep a bit of a curve. I used Uhu extra around the edges to stick it down.

10. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

I never saw that product here must be sold only in the UK
    I like the new avatar:mrgreen:
  11. OldMan

OldMan Member

The tractor looks amazing David! :)
  12. David H

David H Member

It has been a bit stressful of late, not much modelling time. I have made a little progress with the trailer.

13. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

Looking good
  14. zealousy

zealousy Member

I'm NOT a truck fan! No! But you've done a great job on the cab and the rest of your progress is remarkable! Good stuff!
  15. modelperry

modelperry Member

your work continues to inspire. :thumb:

16. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Really fine build so far, I especially like your work on the tires. Nice photography and presentation as well.

And great choice of model! I love trucks, I wish more modelers were into them. I just watched "They Drive by Night" (1941, w/ Humphrey Bogart, Ida Lupino and ... Alan "The Skipper" Hale). Highly recommended for any fellow truck and/or noir fans. :)
  17. David H

David H Member

I agree, trucks rock. I wish there were more models out there.

Unfortunately I have another busy week ahead, not complaining, in these troubled times it's good to be busy, but the trailer needs some serious time spending on it! It's too big a job to rush.

I hope to start another truck at Christmas...

18. zealousy

zealousy Member

Geez I wish there were more race machine builders and designers out there LOL :) Good luck on the rest of the build! Will be watching this one! Absolutely great work so far! Major respect!!! :)
  19. David H

David H Member

Never Ending Story?

Some "rare" as it happens shots from the building desk...

The trailer is soooo big it takes a long long time to finish any tasks... that's my excuse and I am sticking to it. Tonight I did my first 80% finished dry-fit.

BTW using a jig to build the frame worked like a charm even if it did extend build / worry time by a session.

Somewhere back there, where the parallel lines converge, is the end.

Then there are the near infinite number of wheels and axles. Will it never end? YES!

I will finish the major structural items next week and move on to painting and detailing by December, LOL! Then there is the load...

20. David H

David H Member

Lots of stuff keeping me away from modelling but nearly there...

Now to build some shipping containers.