Liaz TBV18.40/DD Truck and Trailer

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by David H, Jul 13, 2008.

1. David H

David H Member

My latest project is a bit of an offbeat rarity.

A Big old truck and trailer with an angular appearance and no nonsense "getting the job done" stance.

Library - 5937.jpg

The kit is printed 1:32 scale from Ripper Works, and from the publisher's web site it builds up into a very attractive replica.

The kit comes printed on 6 sheets of crazy 160gsm B4 card: This required some creative cutting to get on the scanner. As far as I can see there are c. 540 parts but with doubling adding card spacers and a few small additional items this appears a conservative estimate. While there are diagramatic instructions the text is all in Czech so If there are any Czech speakers out there I need help!

Library - 5936.jpg

I have increased the build scale to 1:24 because I wanted to and because it matches the my daughters Playmobil toys - check out their catalogue at From extensive play testing I can vouch that the ambulance and camper-van are particularly wonderful!

So here we go.

2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I was going to buy this one and a couple of others like it on sale but could not get the website's transaction to work.

I'm looking forward to this build.
  3. David H

David H Member

I bought mine from's closing down sale at a very good price after seeing these kits for sale for double what I paid.

I would REALLY like the model with the loading arm but have not managed to find a Czech translator to help yet.

4. modelperry

modelperry Member

This looks very interesting. I'll be following this one with interest.

5. David H

David H Member

Stage 1....

Well a slow start, I am still looking for materials and getting a feel for the kit...
    Liaz - 2.jpg

6. David H

David H Member

A little progress in the last week...
    Liaz - 15.jpg
  7. modelperry

modelperry Member

Looks like a lot of progress to me! Looks really good so far.:thumb:

8. David H

David H Member

Thanks Greg. I have made some more progress! I have lots of semi-finished components.

Liaz - 16.jpg

Liaz - 17.jpg

Now the fun starts, I have some tire treads to design, the various tanks to build then fit and a more appropriately coloured photographic background to find.

9. modelperry

modelperry Member

The yellow shocks set things off well on the frame. Your wife has good taste for shocks.:twisted:

10. David H

David H Member

Well I tried a sheet of light blue card as the photographic backdrop and it does give better contrast. I guess I will have to read the new camera's manual and look at how to set the white balance then create and save a studio set-up in the camera's memory.

But enough of that. This week I have built an endless succession of external "bits" including the diesel tanks, air tanks reserve tank, air filter(?), mud flaps and the tow hitch thing.

Liaz - 6.jpg

Once the tanks are fitted it's on to the engine and some tyre treads.

11. David H

David H Member

Normal Service has resumed!

Yeah! We are back... and more steady progress.

I found the white balance settings on the new camera and I think the photos are improving.

Tyres: I looked into this and I should have a different tread pattern on the steering axle, drive axle and the trailer axles. I do not think I will be quite that obsessive! Perhaps at a larger scale or with a more chunky tread pattern, but at 1:24 it would be very, very time consuming for little return. I am happy with a simple tread pattern based on trucks I have checked out.

12. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

Great job really nice
    for the camera problem you could try to take the pics outside .With natural light you should have a better result...
  13. David H

David H Member

Truck guts...

Unfortunately I have been travelling a lot for work of late so not a lot of progress. Luckily the fine Yorkshire summer weather had me confined to barracks at the weekend so some truck work got done.

14. David H

David H Member

More truck guts

Well its slow and steady progress again. We have done the family holiday thing and since the weather is passable there are lots of outdoors things to do instead of modelng. Just cannot match Greg's speed of building.

Hope the picture shows what's been building. Lots of little pieces to make adjust and fit and quite a lot of plumbing to do for the inter-cooler, radiator etc..

Now to finish those wheels.

15. modelperry

modelperry Member

Greg's building speed is not always a good thing. :twisted: Some times I rush myself too much with artificial deadlines. Your progress looks spot on. :thumb:

16. David H

David H Member

Tired of Tyres?

Tractor unit's tyres done save a coat of spray varnish in the morning.

17. David H

David H Member

Keep on Truck'n

Wheels with hubs on and the chassis is about done. There is the exhaust system to do and then on with the cab...

18. modelperry

modelperry Member

The tire and wheel assemblies turned out rather nicely. :thumb:

19. David H

David H Member

I seem to be engaged with an avalanche of small parts that are taking a long time to get just right; seats, dash board, bed(?) steering wheel and the all important chassis to cab hinge. I need to get hold of some transparent material for the windscreen.

No real problems just careful work and in some cases a bit of creativity.

Anyway the cab floor is done and ready to receive its interior fittings before building the shell. It mates with with the chassis and engine but the gear column support needs finessing so the column fits through the hole in the floor!

20. David H

David H Member

Cabin Fever

Hi Guys,

I have been poorly. I mean quite ill; some sort of virus. Even though was off work I really didn't have the faculties or strength to do any modelling until the weekend.

Of course it was on with the cab skin, the most tricky bit of all! After scoring the fold lines I gave the components a couple of thin coats of spray varnish, cut off the tabs and replaced them with my own... then built it in the air. Glazing the windows and lining the interior is next.