LGB - scale and gauge query

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Meiriongwril, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

LGB uses G Gauge track, but produces both narrow gauge and standard gauge locos and cars.
    Are the standard gauge items to a smaller scale (perhaps 1:32) with the narrow gauge to a larger scale? Or are the standard gauge items just made too narrow?

The LGB America website does not clear this up.
    (Hoping no-one has asked this before...):wave:
  2. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

I'm not sure about LGB standard gauge equipment, but here's the explanation:

The same track is used for all "large scale" applications. In 1/32 scale, it represents standard gauge. This is called Gauge 1. In 1/29 scale, it doesn't represent any actual gauge correctly, but this is used by companies such as USA Trains to represent standard gauge. This scale has no name. In 1/22.5 scale, the same track represents metre gauge; this is used by LGB. This is called G scale. In 1/20.3 scale, the track represents 3' gauge. This is used by companies such as Bachmann. The NMRA calls it F scale, but most companies and modellers call it G.
  3. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Thanks Triplex - I more or less knew about the different scales and the G Gauge track. What I'd like to find out is whether LGB standard gauge items are correct to scale for the track gauge, or are to the same scale as their narrow gauge items (and, therefore, much too narrow in their axle length for standard gauge).