Level bridges & switches?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
N scale question - Are bridges always level? Are they ever built on an incline? Same thing for switches - are they always level or can they be built on inclines as well (as long as they don't bridge a change in incline %)?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the railways wouldn't interrupt a grade to put in a bridge or turnout.
What you probably don't want is a change of grade on a bridge or right at a turnout.
They have been known to put a turnout on superelevated track (banked). There's a picture of a diesel going around the wrong leg and being tilted way over in the wrong direction.

kjd

Sep 9, 2004
seattle
I can think of lots of bridges on grades. Same for turnouts. No reason for them to be flat.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Not only...

...are bridges and switches built on a tilt, I think they made them that way so we couldn't model them. Let nature take its course. Form follows function. I think it's called super-elevation. Easing- Easy does it. Err, uhhmmmm, "don't tip the train, less you wanna spill the load"???!!! Even Thomas has bridges and switches that are not level.

I miss Ringo Starr and Shining Time Staion.

Mark