Lets try to cool down

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by slekjr, Aug 5, 2007.

1. slekjr

slekjr Member

Its been hotter than blue blazes so how about some good old freezing cold winter shots. Here is one from Jan, 1978, the temp was a warm 12 below zero, up 12 degrees from the night before. Just East of Enon Valley Pa at the Haggerty road crossing.

Attached Files:

2. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Skull Valley, AZ. Christmas 2005.
  3. slekjr

slekjr Member

Wow Train nut. what a great angle for a shot. Cooling down a little already.
    We hit 100 on the back porch in the shade today, but yesterday was still hotter, and very humid too. Not so hot in March of 2001

Attached Files:

4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Charlie & TrainNut:wav: , TRULY FANTASTIC SHOTS!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: Personally, I'm NOT feeling any cooler:eeki::toug::119: , but i am sure ENJOYING the pics!:mrgreen:
    :deano: -Deano
  5. slekjr

slekjr Member

Galitzen Pa Nov 1980

Conrail westbound up the slope toward the Galitzen tunnels. Too cold too soon, and talk about being caught in the wind.

Attached Files:

6. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Nice pics guys.
    Now..Where did I put the space heater.......?
  7. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

Brrrrrrr..Feeling a lot cooler now..Thanks guys
  8. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Great shots :thumb:, I start to shiver by looking at them. Slekjr, I love your pics form the70s.
  9. slekjr

slekjr Member

The winter of 77-78 was brutal. Amtrack suffered a lot of delays due to snow and bitter cold. The eastbound broadway normally came through East Palestine around 1 AM but was delayed many days so that it was daylight when it came through. I would head east to get it a little later in better light. Here it is on Feb 5, 1978 at McKinley Road just outside of Darlington, Pa. This is about 4 miles west of Homewood Junction.

Attached Files:

10. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

very nice pics guys...hmmm...am i feeling a draft? --josh
  11. slekjr

slekjr Member

Sante Fe on Conrail

Every now and again the power on trains would run through as far as Conway. Here are some units heading back west. February, 1977 and it was starting to warm a bit.

Attached Files:

12. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I, uh, actually...

...chilled thinking about how many times I have been out "there" and close to loosing a nut, wishing I had more sense, warmer clothes, hotter coffee (being indestructible as a fart knocking youth full of...).

Thanks(?) for reminding me for what I'll have to do in 3-4 months. You know- chasing snow scenes- but wait- with all the global warming- we'll see GODZILLA tearing uP Elevated systems so I'll be cool with that.

Man, you guys are brutal! I have to turn off the A/C now.

{Geesh- make note- never, ever go for the "remember the HEAT OF THIS PAST SUMMER" thread"}
  13. PRR 6750

PRR 6750 New Member

Great Pictures.