Let's see that workbench!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

If tidyness is a sign of a healthy mind, I want to hang with the Jazzman!
    If Jazzman's space is a reflection of his music...WHEN IS YOUR NEXT CONCERT???
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Messy Worktables

Hi all,

There are of course variations of 'messyness' or 'tidyness', ranging from a disorganized heap of things that do not belong together where it is impossible to find what you´re looking for to the perfectly organized work space where every tool has it´s special place and the table is immaculately clean.

I personally prefer the 'creative messyness', which comes from an intense and creative work situation. In this kind of mess, you know exactly where to find what you are looking for by just reaching for it at an arm´s length.

I also prefer to tidy the work space now and then from left-overs and excess cut material, so as not to loose some vital parts - I usually put them in a plastic bag hanging from the edge of the table. When the work is through for the day, I rummage through the bag, turning every paper bit, just to check that there is no small parts there. This is because it has happened (several times) that I´ve thrown away very small but vital parts and had to print a new large page just to get them.
    To organize the small parts that are cut out, before the actual assembly, I put them in different low, open cardboard boxes, where they are easy to identify. I put the bigger parts, wings, etc., in large envelopes onto which I write the name of the model and something about the printing size and other modifications.
    I expect there are hundreds of ways to organize the work-flow. This is how I have chosen to do it.

Bengt :D
  4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

While I agree with most of what you said, Bengt, you seem to have put way too much thought into it... :D Which probably also explains the difference between a "pro" modeller, and a muddler like me... ;)

I too have thrown away a few parts, so I only cut them when needed, and I clean the matt between cutting and glueing the current part. Between models, the table gets a semi-thorough cleaning and re-organizing.
  5. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

I do not think there is much I can explain.....Its out of control

John John
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Good lord John! Like large things much? :)

Seriously, what's up with that ginourmous ship?

7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

'ginourmous ship'=Yamato? Look at the size of the Saturn V and that looks like just the first stage.
  8. DrBill

DrBill Member

I love the miniaturized workbench and laptop models. They really make the others look humongous!
  9. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Never mind the desk, check out the dog, I can't believe that is paper...
  10. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

This is my workbench today. Note that it is one of those neat folding tables you see advertised on TV and elsewhere. Mine was an Xmas gift from my wife and it has been well worth the investment.

The mess of paint and model glue is because yesterday I finished a (shudder) plastic P-40C for a neighbor I just learned had flown one in China after the AVG broke up. The great paper model would have taken me too long for his 85th birthday and the FG P40 isn't worth talking about as a special gift!

Tomorrow the big scissors, Aleene's quick dry glue, and cutting board will reappear as will little giblets of paper as I get back to card modeling.

11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

[​IMG]NYC Irish... You know, you'd have rrom for a whole chair if you scaled the models down a wee bit...
  12. barry

barry Active Member

My daytime workspace spend most of my spare time during the day in here the wife does not like me soldering in her lounge but she does not mind the card bits so I sit near the fire and build the my bits in there like Bear and watch the TV.

13. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

This should make most of you feel better:

An old saying:

A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered mind.

My mind is totally clear.

14. josve

josve Active Member

My new place!!

So finally I have moved into my new shed :)
    I have made a room on top of my garage as a storage room for a lot of things.
    And on the back side I made a workbench :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So now it's back to the paperwork!!
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Oooo, a shed! I am GREEN with envy!!

16. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I think that I will have to show "She Who Must Be Obeyed" the large areas some here have at their disposal, but then again she would point out that I have usurped what was to originally be her secretary...

Dunno what she has to complain about, I did buy her a laptop to write her best selling novel with...
  17. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I don't think I like josve anymore.... ;) :D

You lucky dog! What an awesome setup!!!!
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Berkley Trilene and a couple of fly reels..................getting ready Johnny?

Nice place............ watch you head to the left there............and a room with a view............wow!

19. josve

josve Active Member

LOL yes I'm getting ready :)
    My fishing season starts in about 4 weeks!
    Usually my first trip is the first weekend after easter, but this year we still have 2-3 meters of snow above 1000 meters.....so my mountaintrips are delayed a bit.
  20. David H

David H Member

Tidy for once

My turn to come clean and confess all. Just finished one model and begun another when I took this.

View attachment 10601

Doubles as the home office for 'him and her' when we are lucky enough to work from home in the room we keep books and guests! Handy for references but poor when the sister in law comes to stay.

As a space it often verges on the untidy!

Any model building architects out there who could design a model building space for the family home?