Lets have some idea's

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Okay gang, the last contest was great, and I enjoyed it myself just looking at all the photo's.

Now then, for the next Model Contest lets have a few idea's to mull over before we get down to it. To start it off, what about something to do with loco's and engine house facilities, or loco's crawling over trestle bridges.. Lets have YOUR thoughts.. What sort of theme would you all like to see.

Shamus

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
How about a small diorama representing a prototype scene that was posted on the gauge. If there's room, a re-post of the photo,and the model photo, or at least, the thread, and date of the prototype photo.
Pete

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I think trestles might be a little too limiting, don't know how many of us actually have trestles on our layouts, but I'm sure everyone has tunnels and bridges. So perhaps a "Bridges & Tunnels" theme for the first one.

Another idea might be "The Consist", which includes two or more locomotives MU'd together in a scene. That's one of my favorite prototype images, three-five locomotives back-to-front-to-back-to-whatever leading a train through the countryside/mountains/what-have-you.

Sumpter's idea has some merit, too. Maybe not a whole diorama, though, I think many of us would prefer to work on our own layouts rather than a diorama. But, and I'm just brainstorming here, something we could all use on our layouts - perhaps something like a caboose modeled after a prototype photo ???? Each entry would include the prototype photo and the model.............................

< I'm bearing in mind that "The Gauge" structure idea started off with a lot of raves, but only resulted in one box being produced - not including my newspaper which I'm still working on >

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Originally posted by rockislandmike
< I'm bearing in mind that "The Gauge" structure idea started off with a lot of raves, but only resulted in one box being produced - not including my newspaper which I'm still working on >

How about pix of The Box?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Michael suggested a Consist which includes two or more locomotives MU'd together in a scene. That might be quite interesting in my case using two shays and a heisler in tandom pushing 20 log cars up an 8% grade. Got to give that a try:D

Shamus

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
I like most of the ideas presented so far, but I would offer a word of caution. If you make the theme too narrow in scope I think you could keep a lot of people from entering. As rockislandmike said not everyone has a trestle. Not everyone has the time or money to build a special diorama just for one photo contest. Some people only have desiel and don't have or want steam and vice versa. As long as the theme is general in nature I think you would have the max number of entries. Just my $2 worth and I'll get off my soapbox now! :D :p :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Okay, here's my 2p (UK) worth, how about a photograph which must include at least 1 loco with or without anything behind it. (Or in front) can be sitting at a depot or water tank or just sitting out the midday sun. Or it can be running full blast over a trestle/bridge/viaduct or what ever.
Just my mind wandering on :rolleyes::D

Shamus

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Shamus that's fine although so general I'm not sure what the theme is :D :D :D , but I don't see how it would rule anyone out which is good. Some ideas for the heck of it.
1- Yard (anything having to do with a yard area, big or tiny )
2- Mainline (anything having to do with the, well you know :D )
3- At the crossing (this could be any type of crossing- grade,
diamond, river, highway over track or vice versa)
4- Rural
5- Urban
6- Industrial

I'll shut up now, it's time for my medication anyway. :D

Ops!!! And the aforementioned- Bridges and Tunnels

pierce

Jul 4, 2002
Alabama
www.tranweb.org
Originally posted by rockislandmike
I think trestles might be a little too limiting, don't know how many of us actually have trestles on our layouts, but I'm sure everyone has tunnels and bridges. So perhaps a "Bridges & Tunnels" theme for the first one.

Another idea might be "The Consist", which includes two or more locomotives MU'd together in a scene. That's one of my favorite prototype images, three-five locomotives back-to-front-to-back-to-whatever leading a train through the countryside/mountains/what-have-you.

I didnt post on thelast contest but i inteadn to post on this one. I agrees thattresltes would be to limting "Bridges & Tunnels" good idea. "The Consist" intersting. Now how are we people that model steam goning to have "locomotives MU'd together " Now what are computers again?:D :confused:
How about the theam being off track action.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Not really getting any where so it might just have to go to a POLL on this one.

Shamus

Originally posted by shamus
Okay, here's my 2p (UK) worth, how about a photograph which must include at least 1 loco with or without anything behind it. (Or in front) can be sitting at a depot or water tank or just sitting out the midday sun. Or it can be running full blast over a trestle/bridge/viaduct or what ever.
Just my mind wandering on :rolleyes::D

Shamus

Shamus, I like your suggestion. The theme could be "Model Railfanning" and the scene would have to include at least one loco. The lokie can be at rest or working.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Vic
I'm confused:confused: Would this be just straight from the layout or enhanced and edited photos? Let's go the "poll route" to decide what to do:)
Vic, No this would not be computer enhanced, just a straight forward photograph as the last one was.
Compter enhanced/magic contest is to be held after the Prototype contest is over with.

Casey, I like that idea of "Model Railfanning" sounds as if we are on the right track (PUN intended)

Shamus

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
While in no way disparaging the idea of having to have a locomotive in the photo, I think 99% of photos use a locomotive as their focal point. It would be all well and good to have a contest for photos of locos, but in some future contest it would be interesting to prohibit locos. While not really challenging, it would be somewhat more thought provoking to compose a scene where the focal point is undeniably railroad oriented, but not a loco. Just a little less mainstream. What do you think?

Gary

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Good point gary, photographing a scene without any loco's might be very interesting. Any more thoughts people.

Shamus