Let The Games Begin!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Hey Cannonball,
    what they are trying to say is to lay the 1x2 on edge like floor joists to give more strength under the plywood like on the floor upstairs if that is how your house is built. Look at floor plans to see what I mean. Thanks Alan
  2. Geno

Geno Member

I think you're fine- sometimes less is more. I 'm looking at the monster of a layout I'm building and I wish I could just do a smaller shelf-style setup. But instead I've got these 8' deep peninsulas sticking into the room (my bonus room is 20 x 20). I'm not goiing to do anything rash like tear it down, but still it's nice to have something simple sometimes.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

LOL..... I was just thinking to myself that I have another transformer and enough track left over to do a 3x6 figure 8 or something similar. I wonder how hard it would be to build a second level? :D

Just getting the switches wired up today. I'm gonna have to pick up some 3 wire chord this weekend though. I'm about 3ft short on the length for my last couple of switches. :curse:
  4. Geno

Geno Member

I already know that when I'm done with the benchwork I'll probably end up opening up that box of 027 and set up some track just to get a feel for the layout with trains running on it. Too bad I didn't get 096 and 084 curved K-line track when it was available.

It seems like anyone who does 3 rail O goes right to the track and tracks as soon as the benchwork is done (can you blame them?)...

5. Greg

Greg New Member

I am working on a layout that I am setting up two O tracks on and have considered tying them together as mentioned. I like that idea but I would like them to work independently on their own transformers. I would assume one would use isolation track at those connections. My concern would be how an engine would behave moving from one set of track/transformer to another. What are the considerations of doing this?

And that new track set up was done nicely and quickly and the layout is nice for a 4X8 table.
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

My first thought was it should be OK as long as your track is insulated and you are running similar transformers. Then it occured to me that if the engine has two pickup rollers, at one point it's going to be on both sides of the insulators and drawing current from both transformers. I don't know how that would affect the engine or the transformers since at that point it would be acting as a bridge over the insulators. I'm sure there is a way it can be done, though.

Thanks. :)
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

What you actually do is isolate each track to run on it own transformer. Then have an additional section of track in the loop isolated so you can park the inside trains.

Then you would hit a switch to turn off the power to that track, then you would have another switch to power up the second half of open track so that you can now run the outer loop train and transformer.

Thus you would have to isolate between all switches connecting each loop. Then have an addition isolated section on the inner loop to park the second train.

So if this was the case you can now use the train running on the outer loop with that transformer safely on half of the inside loop.

[FONT=&quot]I know this is the short version but since I have to run to a basketball game I’m sure some one will make it all stand out a little better than I might have. If not I will be happy to post a diagram with the correct directions.[/FONT]​
  8. Greg

Greg New Member

Cool, I think the easiest way to do it would be to have a loop or section that is isolated from both that can be switched to receive power from either transformer, thus you can join it to either on demand but have it off otherwise. I have done this with sidings to isolate those, so hooking up the other track to the other end of the siding instead of a bumper would do it.
  9. Greg

Greg New Member

Opps, sorry, double post