Let me introduce...

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by David H, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David H

David H Member

I have had an awful week at work, so by way of some therapy here’s a bit about me.

I live in rural North Yorkshire in a wee tiny village with wife and daughter. I earn my crust as an archaeological consultant and amongst other conspicuous wastes of free time I enjoy, in my wife’s words, “sticking little bits of paper to other little bits of paper”.

In this I claim no great proficiency! I am regularly overawed by the precision, excellence and dedication displayed in the work of other members of Cardmodellers.net and in the wider card modelling community.

I came to card modelling by way of the sacred Airfix plastic kits and stick and tissue free-flight model aircraft. But various factors have always attracted me to paper, not least the lack of nasty smells and offbeat subjects. Of course as a thoroughly naturalised and integrated inhabitant of Yorkshire price has an attraction too!

A long time ago when I was at university, I built (badly) some of the wonderfully designed models in the books Paper Planes 1 and Paper Planes 2 (Michael Johnson Alan Austin). I have some of the models left un-built. Attempts at some architectural and ship models didn’t go too well and then along came the internet… fish, rockets planes and a load of other crazy stuff.

I have really enjoyed building Fiddlersgreen’s offerings and had a lot of fun with the B52. Recently my jaw dropped with the arrival of the FG Hunter, which I am building now. I also have a Wilhelmshaven Magister on the go.

So my aspirations are simple, improve the accuracy of my cutting, rolling and folding and generally hone my skills and confidence. I think my next few projects will be aircraft, then maybe a sailing ship? But I am sure that this forum will always be an inspiration to try harder and do better. I might even be brave enough to post a build thread, anyone for Fairey Long Range Mono-Plane…?
    View attachment 2454

Attached Files:

2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Well howdy and welcome. You will get a lot of good advice and inspiration on this forum. :)
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Welcome Aboard!

Hi David,

Interestingly enough this site seems to be a refreshingly clear and honest island amidst the confusion and babble of the net and modern World in general. We may be holdouts from an era lost but what a marvelous era it was and still is here. Just remember to tell them that it's made from paper and to post often and well...,

Best regards, Gil Russell
  4. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Glad to see you have cmoe out of the wordwork, once again welcome to the forum, Malton is not such a small place as I said before I stayed in Helperthorpe last year, I think this is just up the road? Have you visited camp eden? they have many plastic models on display, perhaps you could build some paper models and display them in there?
  5. David H

David H Member

Well GT5500 Malton is sort of a vicinity... I live a bit outside but it is my postal town. I have some friends in Helperthorpe.

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Yep, great place here to get advice on anything and everything card related :) Welcome and hope to see some pics of your builds :) Still have time to get one in on woodengravers super thread :D
  7. GT5500

GT5500 Member

You have friends in Helperthorpe?I must have met them as there are only about ten people in the whole town :twisted: I think I read that they only got electric a little while ago. I stayed in the Granary guest cottage, there are a couple of nice pubs just up the road, the Bluebell and another one.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hello David of North Yorkshire! Welcome aboard!
    You have found the best forum on the net, congratulations!
    I am sure you already know, everyone here will be happy to help with advice on any modeling subject or problem, so bring on the builds!
    I am looking forward to seeing some of your models and seeing you around the forum as well.
    Again, welcome and make yourself at home!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.