Let’s build a turntable

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by cnw1961, Nov 11, 2006.

1. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

liven_letdie, glad to see that you know what I mean :D .
  2. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

announce1 IT’S DONE

3. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

WOW KURT!!!
    bounce7 bounce7 bounce7 bounce7
    GREAT JOB!!!
    (And I really, really mean it too! :D )

4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

That looks AWSOME, and now I want a turn table from following this thread. Too bad I don't have a big enough layout:cry: :cry:

FANTASIC job Kurt :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  5. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

Great job Kurt. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
    Your whole tutorial was wll done,,,, clear and informative text as well as pictures. I look forward to seeing more of your modeling.
  6. Illus

Illus Member

Thats fantastic! Now lets see it on a layout!!!:)
  7. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Miles, Josh, kj, Illus. thank you :wave: :wave: . BTW, kj, this thread was not meant to be a tutorial. To do a tutorial, I think you have to know what you are going to do right from the start :D . I only knew that I wanted to build a turntable and wanted to show my progress step by step. I didn’t konw where this would lead me to. I am glad that I got a good result and that you liked this thread.
  8. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hey Kurt!!

Now you gotta go for the roundhouse...!!! If it's only half as good as the turntable, it's going to be exceptional...!!!
  9. viperman

viperman Active Member

Great write-up there Kurt! Thank you for the many pictures, and detailed writing. Now you just have to put it in a layout, and snap some pics for us!
  10. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

I think half the fun is starting a project and not knowing where it will lead or how it will turnout (even more so if you start a thread and let everyone watch):D
    However, when you started this thread, we all knew where it would end up...with an excellent finished product that anyone would be proud to have on their layout or even as a beautiful static display. We also knew that we were in for a great "step by step" if not a full blown tutorial.

Kurt, your work speaks for itself, and your talent, passion, and willingness to share...speak for you. I, like everyone else, eagerly await.........."The Roundhouse"
  11. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

I am amazed! Thank you for sharing that with us.
  12. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Exceptional job AND tutorial. I should have you do my tutorials LOL. They would be much better with you at the helm :D
    Care to rewrite my whole website for me? Only about 50 pages [I think ;) LOL]

Great stuff Kurt. Two thumbs up. :)
  13. tweet469

tweet469 New Member

I bought a CMW 135' TT about 6 months ago & thought I paid to much for it (what do you buy in this hobby that isn't overpriced!). After seeing your photos I've decided to build another TT to install on a module. My other modules are mounted on casters with 3/8" dowel pins for movability & alignment ease. I use the suitcase type of latches to join the sections together. With this method I don't have to use a bridge track section between them. My idea of the ring for the pit wall was to get a hoop that they use for needle point. I'll have to see what sizes are offered. On my roundhouse tracks I made each one a progarmming track for DCC. This makes programming & consisting alot easier. I read an article on the web about using an Atlas TT mounted under a TT to turn & index it. In the article it told how to change the gearing to change the index angle from the 10 degree angle of the Atlas. I use this method, but I'm trying to build a controller from a stepper motor out of a printer. I ordered an electronic stepper motor controller kit last week frm Frys Electronics. It should be here this week I hope. Tweet.
  14. JAyers

JAyers Member

Well done! I have been following this from the beginning and I would like to say that I'm impressed. I, too, have been building a turntable, albeit a rustic would A-frame, and I hope it turns out this nice. I have my progress up at 2guyz and posted the link earlier in the thread, but don't expect anything as nice as this one here!
  15. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Tweet469, your attempt to build an indexing system sounds very interesting. I hope you post some pics of what you are doing. :wave:

JAyers, I was too stupid to find the link in your first post :oops: . The way you build your turntable and the style of the TT is totally different to mine, but I think you are doing a great job. I really like it. Now that I found the link, I have to keep an eye on your progress :thumb: :thumb: .
  16. nalmeida

nalmeida Member

That's a wonderful build Kurt, you have amazing skills and accomplished something that not only looks great but also works great, congratulations.
  17. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Well this is SOOOO good I simply had to put a link to it on my website here
    It is at the bottom of the page, but even so it is there. I really enjoyed this Kurt. Thanks once again. :)
  18. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Stephen, I feel honored. :wave:
  19. jtloconut

jtloconut Member

That is the best I have seen:thumb: Thank you . J.T. Please post picture when installed on layout.jawdrop
  20. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Interesting..... That also happens to be the rattio for standard tuning pegs on Fender basses. (And it's many copiers) :D