Let’s build a turntable

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by cnw1961, Nov 11, 2006.

1. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

After I finished the power arch, I turned to the walkway at the side of the bridge. I used .200 x .040 stripwood for the walkway. I did not fix it to the bridge, the bridge has to be painted first. Then I installed the handrails (made by Central Valley).

2. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

The next two pictures with the engine on the bridge give you an impression of the size of the bridge (this Stewart F3 is another modeling project waiting on my workbench).

The control cabin is only a mock-up to find out the right size. I can do better than that :D .
  3. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

kurt, vantastic work, keep the pictures coming, announce1 this is by no means boring.
  4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Never boring to see craftmanship take place!
  5. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Spectacular work...!!! Keep it coming :thumb: .
  6. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

HOLY SMOKES, Fantasic job Kurt. I can not believe the awsome work. It looks sooo good.

Keep it up.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  7. MadModeler

MadModeler Member

Exactly! Very well done kurt!:thumb:

Puts a lot of the stuff I made to shame.:oops: Better get crackin'!
  8. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

Not only do your skill and artistry blow me away....but I have to say: NOBODY does a more informative and interest peaking step-by-step than you do my friend!:thumb: Even your pictures are crystal clear and perfectly lit.
    I thought your scratch build boxcar was as good as it gets:
    But now this awesome project comes along.............You know I've been thinking about modifying my turntable.....................:D :D
  9. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

I agree with what Steve and others have said: Great step-by-step instructions, modeling, and photography!
  10. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Thank you all again! :wave: I like doing these step-by-steps and I hope they might be benfitial to someone. Steve, don’t praise my skills to loudly. I like modeling with styrene, it is the right stuff for me. You should see me (or better not) using plaster, trying to build mountains wall1 . The mountains on your layout are really intimidating to me :D . 2-8-2, I had a look at your website. Great work. I have to keep an eye on it.
  11. viperman

viperman Active Member

Kurt, this is an awesome idea, and so far very well done! I love the step by step pics. And you say you think you are boring us? I think NOT!!
  12. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Not boring... but excellent.... I've always to make a cyclone fence. It's nice to know it is possible to solder brass like your handrails. I have some white metal wire, very soft... used by florists. Does anyone know if that stuff will solder?

Back to the turntable.

I can't wait to see how you will paint it, and how it will align with the tracks....
  13. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Thank you! Don’t put the blame on me – you asked for it :D:

After I finished the construction of the bride (I’ll do the control cab in the end), it is getting a little tricky now. At first I have to adjust the height of the bridge. That’s still quite easy. I cut two washer from .060 styrene and glued one of them to the bridge. The other one will be glued to the bottom of the pit. Besides adjusting the height, these styrene washers will make the bridge turn easily without any grease.

I think I tell you no secret, when I say that I made the ring rail from a piece of flextrack. I cut it on the iside of one rail, the I put into my pit to determine the length. I made sure that the side of the ties I did not cut was on the outside and that the rail fits tightly into the pit. After cutting the rail, I closed the ring with a railjoiner.

Now I had to determine the position of the trucks on the bridge. First I measured the height of the truck when it sits on a piece of track. Then I had to determine the distance from the middle of the truck when it runs on the ring rail to the middle of the turntable. Now you can see why I haven’t fixed the bottom of the turntable to the wall yet. I placed the wooden ring on the drawing of the turntable that I did before I started. Then I put a truck on the ring rail and a small piece of track and marked the middle with a pencil (more accurate than in this pic). If you can think of a better way, please let me know.

Now I could measure the distance without any problems.

I use some Atlas freight car trucks with metal wheels. To make them suitable for my turntable, I replaced the inner wheels by nails (I had this idea when I read how doctorwayne built his turntable Turntable – thank you). Then I attached the trucks to the bridge.

14. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

I took a deep breath before I placed the bridge on the ring rail in the pit, but to my relief there was nothing wrong with my calculations. The bridge fits perfectly.

BTW, greetings from my wife to the Gauge. :wave: She said, I should tell you it’s her fault that you have to endure all this. It was her idea to start model railroading a few years ago. But she could not know at that time, how much I would like it :D.
  15. Illus

Illus Member

That is an awesome piece of work you have there. I can't wait to see that on a layout.
  16. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Phenomenal work! Can't wait to see more.
  17. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Neither can I, It's....just...so..BEAUTIFUL!!!! :cry: :)
  18. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Thank your wife on behalf of all of us who drool with every new post...!!sign1
  19. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Thanks for the rail, truck idea. I hope to make one in the next few months and that idea is cool. I was wondering how to do it and that looks like a good one.
    Thanks again :)
  20. Great work you are truely an artist.